About gender

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

About gender

Postby sonerd » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 am

There's been a while since the last time I tested MH. I don't have the time for testing the current version now, but MH can be a useful tool for me in the near future, and I *strongly* suggest to take realistic gender very seriously.

I remember that one of the things I disliked when I tested MH in the past, is how it handles gender. While I agree that it's very convenient to have a gender-neutral topology (because that way you can reuse morphs, textures, and poses in all your characters), however I dislike this "neutrality" affecting not only topology, but also modelling (I remember that it was hard to create a "real woman model", and a "real man model"... the gender in MH models was somewhat "strange").

I've visited the gallery in this forum, and it seems that current men and women modelled in MH seem to have more realistic gender than in the past.

But... however... the screenshots at recent posts in the blog show the "neutral-gender" model that I remember from the past. Such model is really weird, strange, and it certainly doesn't make me wish to use MH for doing real art.

I hope that when MH starts, the default model isn't "gender-neutral", because such thing isn't useful in art (it can be interesting for some certain creations, but it's totally useless for the 99% of real art uses).

Just my advice.
sonerd

Re: About gender

Postby pistacja » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:11 am

Making a female face at the moment is a bit tricky but it can be done. Males are easer because we have more male specific targets (like square jaws and big chins).

The base mesh of the future version will also be non sex specific, but I took a sneak pick at what the artists are doing and each gender is done separately so I have no doubt that there won't be any problems in making girly girls and manly mans.
This post was made thanks to Me, Myself and I.
pistacja

Postby snibgo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:15 pm

I'd like MH to be able to start with a user-defined bodyshape and pose, in much the same way that a word-processor can start with a user-defined document.

This would enable users to start with a specific face, genitalia and so on, if they wish.
snibgo

Postby bwansy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18 am

That would be nice. Since there will be different artists making models for different ethnic groups, gender and age, it should be possible to start from those models instead of the standard ("neutral") one.
bwansy

Return to General discussions about makehuman