Humans in Unity?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Humans in Unity?

Postby shokabeln » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:07 am

Hello, a fellow dev here.

I wanted to ask the dev community how do you get human models into your game made in unity?

For unreal there is metahuman, but for unity I only see makehuman that is free (looks kinda meh) and character creator 4 that is expensive and you need to pay even more for the licance to use it in a game.

Are there any good human assets or creation tools/systems that you can recommend? I am willing to spend some money for them if they are good, but I am on a budget.

Also if you can find ones with cult cloaks that would be great, I want to make an occult horror game.
shokabeln

Re: Humans in Unity?

Postby Keraera » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:11 pm

Hey there! I understand that you're having trouble finding all the clothing options you need with Make Human. While they do offer some default choices, creating custom clothes requires using a DCC (digital content creation) application or a clothing simulation tool such as Marvelous Designer.

First things first, let's talk about making a human base mesh. Although the textures and lighting may look slightly dated in Make Human, rest assured that the underlying topology is quite solid. Interestingly enough, a 10-year-old baseline model from Make Human might share many similarities with today's Meta Humans due to their shared human anatomy. This means that you could always give your character a fresh new look by simply retracing the skin and designing unique garments within a DCC app like Blender, which is available for free!

Speaking of clothing, did you know that creating attire in these apps is relatively straightforward? There are plenty of online resources and tutorials on platforms like YouTube to guide you through the process. By combining basic shapes and adjusting parameters, you can craft stunning pieces tailored specifically to your characters.
Now, suppose you're still unsure whether Make Human meets your needs. In that case, I wholeheartedly suggest checking out DAZ Studio – trust me; you won't regret it! Not only does it provide access to a vast library of assets, but its user interface closely resembles that of Make Human. As a result, transitioning between the two should feel familiar and intuitive. Plus, mastering DAZ Studio will open up endless possibilities for creating captivating scenes and animations featuring realistic virtual humans adorned in fabulous wardrobes. Happy exploring! :D :D :D
Keraera

Return to General discussions about makehuman