Is using MakeHuman cheating?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Is using MakeHuman cheating?

Postby jassa » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:43 am

Hey everyone, long-time Maya professional here. Couldn't think of another subreddit to post this in.

Long story short, I have an idea for a character model (fan-based) that I want to try to throw together. I'd model the whole body myself but I work at a game studio and we're logging some pretty heavy hours at the moment. So, I'm considering using MakeHuman as a base then completely re-do the head and legs / sculpt up the rest of the body in Zbrush. Essentially, just use makehuman for the base

What's more, I might end up wanting to put this on my reel if it turns out as I hope it will. In the past, I've always used my own meshes (I start from a plane or a cube and then keep going) and I feel like MakeHuman might be cheating a bit.

What do my fellow modelers think?
jassa

Re: Is using MakeHuman cheating?

Postby RobBaer » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:17 pm

jassa wrote:Hey everyone, long-time Maya professional here. Couldn't think of another subreddit to post this in.

Long story short, I have an idea for a character model (fan-based) that I want to try to throw together. I'd model the whole body myself but I work at a game studio and we're logging some pretty heavy hours at the moment. So, I'm considering using MakeHuman as a base then completely re-do the head and legs / sculpt up the rest of the body in Zbrush. Essentially, just use makehuman for the base

What's more, I might end up wanting to put this on my reel if it turns out as I hope it will. In the past, I've always used my own meshes (I start from a plane or a cube and then keep going) and I feel like MakeHuman might be cheating a bit.

What do my fellow modelers think?

Sounds like the type of thing MakeHuman is made for. It would be nice if you left an acknowlegement at the end, but ...
RobBaer

Return to General discussions about makehuman