Wish List

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Wish List

Postby lovemakehuman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Site:
Make the forums page stop coming up in new window.
Make link back to site page from forums page.
Add strips on side of site page that shows newest post in forums and a have a link that goes directly to it.

MakeHuman:
Make a way so people can import written XML objects(clothing, hair, textures) that can be used in program and allow a way to make the objects adjustable(size, color, etc) with controls.
Less generalized controls that allow you to make Anime Characters.
High poly to low poly(normal mapped) conversion.
lovemakehuman

Re: Wish List

Postby Manuel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:30 am

The wish list about MH is already in our personal TODO list.
About site...very low priority. We are busy adding features.

Regards,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby lovemakehuman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:11 am

Manuel wrote:The wish list about MH is already in our personal TODO list.

Link?

Manuel wrote:About site...very low priority. We are busy adding features.

I understand sir.

Question: Under your licensing, would it be ok to use your mesh(full credit due), with alterations, to make a MakeHuman like program(free open source) for windows? Because I have lots of code(DirectX) that would easily allow some of the stuff you have planned.
lovemakehuman

Postby Manuel » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:03 pm

Question: Under your licensing, would it be ok to use your mesh(full credit due), with alterations, to make a MakeHuman like program(free open source) for windows? Because I have lots of code(DirectX) that would easily allow some of the stuff you have planned.

You can, but I don't like it.
Instead fork, why not help exisitng makehuman?
In example, converting your directx code in openGL, and porting it in MH.
Besides...if these are features we have planned (and you should see new makehuman Proto before think about a fork), why code them in a windows only version?
You can't wait?

Regards,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby lovemakehuman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:32 am

Manuel wrote:You can, but I don't like it.
Instead fork, why not help exisitng makehuman?

I'm not an ass, I would make all my source public and share it.

Manuel wrote:In example, converting your directx code in openGL, and porting it in MH.

I've thought about doing that...Just I don't have much time(stupid work).
>
Manuel wrote:Besides...if these are features we have planned (and you should see new makehuman Proto before think about a fork), why code them in a windows only version?

I was under the understanding, or misunderstand for that matter, that WINE allowed windows code to run under Linux...Am I wrong?

Manuel wrote:You can't wait?
Manuel

I program as a hobby, so it's all just for fun.
lovemakehuman

Postby Manuel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:16 pm

lovemakehuman wrote:I'm not an ass, I would make all my source public and share it.

Using MH mesh and targets you *must* release the source because GPL3....
But share them don't mean automatically you are doing the right thing.
There is not correct place to start a discussion about Open Source ideal, anyway, in few words...

When I've released MH under OSS license, I mean :

OSS = a lot of people can help the project, getting involved (artist, coders, etc..)

and not

OSS = a lot of people can clone the project.

Open source is good when all efforts are in the same direction and on the same sw.
Instead, a fragmentation of resources (in example a lot of little Makehumans derivations)
have a very bad effect. First of all, the user is confused. Second we are in competition.

If you don't have much time...why you are thinkg about a MH from scratch??
IMHO you should try to improve actual one, instead make a totally new version.

I was under the understanding, or misunderstand for that matter, that WINE allowed windows code to run under Linux...Am I wrong?

WINE is ok if you want use a simple program. But work with a 3D software under emulation is a very bad idea.
Besides, emulation of directx is very difficult. Directx is the Microsoft idea to ruin openGL, they are thinked to run only under Window.
I'm not sure even if directX emulation is possible.

I program as a hobby, so it's all just for fun.

This is very common in oss development. We code because passion and fun.
The important thing is code in right way, to have an forces union and not a resource dispersion.

If you want help the project contact me.
We have a lot of fun tasks to do. In example, a realistic realtime shader (if you like GPU).
Or a dynamic clothes simulation if you like 3d algos.
Or a physical simulation of fat mass, if you like math and physics...

If you want make a custom version of MH, I repete, you can (of course with respect of GPL3), but this will not help MH project,
and for me is a bad decision.

Regards,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby Sethren » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:52 pm

What Manuel says sounds reasonable and it makes sense. Why not join forces and make this project better and while remaining free from hard and generous work. I am willing to contribute myself by making targets real soon here and i want to make texture sets for cloth and hair when they are available as i am very good with Genetica, a seamless texture software in which i have made some very nice cloth and hair texture already. If people put there skills together it's a nice selfless act and in the end you have fun creating neat software. I wish more people and software coders thought and worked like this. Sharing ideas is a great thing to do and things happen faster and sooner.
Sethren

Postby lovemakehuman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:55 am

Manuel wrote:Using MH mesh and targets you *must* release the source because GPL3....
But share them don't mean automatically you are doing the right thing.
There is not correct place to start a discussion about Open Source ideal, anyway, in few words...

Under GPL3, if I use your mesh(modified) in a game...Do I have to give out the source for my game? <Note: I was planning on doing it anyways, I'm just curious>

Manuel wrote:When I've released MH under OSS license, I mean :
OSS = a lot of people can help the project, getting involved (artist, coders, etc..)
and not
OSS = a lot of people can clone the project.

I don't plan on making a clone...That would be pointless/boring.

Manuel wrote:Open source is good when all efforts are in the same direction and on the same sw.

I plan on going a totally different route with the only thing being from MH is a modified version of your mesh.

A) Plan on converting mesh to progressive mesh, with several levels of detail.
B) I also wanted to impliment a system where people could add XML objects(clothing, hair, animations, etc) and ways for the object designer to add controls to adjust certain things of that object. Your modified MH mesh(which is what I want to use) would also be added this way...Which would allow users to import their own versions of it. Whole app would be XML server of objects.

Something like this:
<Object name="hat" num="3"> 3rd version of hat
<Object_Embed_Size><Width>100</Width><Height>100.f</Height><Object_Embed_Size>
<Object_Caption>Bowler Hat</Object_Caption>
<Object Link>Location of file/file.x </Object Link>
<Object_Adjustables Control="slider"> My program will create that control for the object so user can adjust the objects vertexes
<Vertexes_To_Adjust min.x="10.f" max.x="100.f"> MIn/max vertexes(x) will be allowed to change
<Vertex_Index type="vector">1 17 36</Vertex_Index> Index of Vertexes that the user would change with controller
</Vertexes_To_Adjust>
</Object_Adjustables Control>
</Object>

<Object name="ModifiedMakeHumanMesh">
{...}Modified version of your mesh(progressive) I want to use.
</Object>

<Object name="Shoes" num="2">
{...}
</Object>
yadda, yadda, yadda.

What do you think?

Manuel wrote:If you don't have much time...why you are thinkg about a MH from scratch??

No, IMHO I could design a half way good app(not beta) in 6 months...With DirectX.
With OpenGl(which I have limited experiance on) it would probably take forever...

Manuel wrote:IMHO you should try to improve actual one, instead make a totally new version.

That would be a steep learning curve(OpenGl/your code)...Even more so with the integration of python. I dunno how much help I would be.

Manuel wrote:If you want help the project contact me.
We have a lot of fun tasks to do. In example, a realistic realtime shader (if you like GPU).
Or a dynamic clothes simulation if you like 3d algos.
Or a physical simulation of fat mass, if you like math and physics...

After I'm done with my game, I might just do that. <Dunno how much a DIrectX programmer can help>

BTW, since this is not a commercial app...You ever think of using Bullet or Havok(Just released full version for noncommercial use) for the dynamic clothes simulation/fat mass? I'm currently using bullet and it's pretty good.

Open source and has collada importer:
http://www.bulletphysics.com/
lovemakehuman

Postby Manuel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:36 am

lovemakehuman wrote:Under GPL3, if I use your mesh(modified) in a game...Do I have to give out the source for my game? <Note: I was planning on doing it anyways, I'm just curious>

Only the mesh no, it's released under MIT, a more permissive license (but this maybe changed in next reelases). The code and all targets are under GPL3.

A) Plan on converting mesh to progressive mesh, with several levels of detail.

ok. But this is our in todo list.

B) I also wanted to impliment a system where people could add XML objects(clothing, hair, animations, etc) and ways for the object designer to add controls to adjust certain things of that object. Your modified MH mesh(which is what I want to use) would also be added this way...Which would allow users to import their own versions of it. Whole app would be XML server of objects.

Something like this:
<Object name="hat" num="3"> 3rd version of hat
<Object_Embed_Size><Width>100</Width><Height>100.f</Height><Object_Embed_Size>
<Object_Caption>Bowler Hat</Object_Caption>
<Object Link>Location of file/file.x </Object Link>
<Object_Adjustables Control="slider"> My program will create that control for the object so user can adjust the objects vertexes
<Vertexes_To_Adjust min.x="10.f" max.x="100.f"> MIn/max vertexes(x) will be allowed to change
<Vertex_Index type="vector">1 17 36</Vertex_Index> Index of Vertexes that the user would change with controller
</Vertexes_To_Adjust>
</Object_Adjustables Control>
</Object>

<Object name="ModifiedMakeHumanMesh">
{...}Modified version of your mesh(progressive) I want to use.
</Object>

<Object name="Shoes" num="2">
{...}
</Object>
yadda, yadda, yadda.

What do you think?

Interesting.
but if you need XML format, why not Collada?
There are some particular custom info you need?

BTW, since this is not a commercial app...You ever think of using Bullet or Havok(Just released full version for noncommercial use) for the dynamic clothes simulation/fat mass? I'm currently using bullet and it's pretty good.

Open source and has collada importer:
http://www.bulletphysics.com/

We need a small engine and it must be OSS (we don't want a link closed or not multiplatform libs).
So, it's all to decide about dynamics.
Ciao,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby lovemakehuman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Interesting.
but if you need XML format, why not Collada?
There are some particular custom info you need?

By it's very nature I believe it would have to be custom...Especially if your going to be embeding controls in it.

We need a small engine and it must be OSS (we don't want a link closed or not multiplatform libs).

Not sure about Havok, but Bullet is all of that...Except it's not small(60 MB).

Note: At the very least I would browse Bullet's source to learn to do what you need. It's really fast.
lovemakehuman

Next

Return to General discussions about makehuman