makehuman and SecondLife

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

makehuman and SecondLife

Postby robertltux » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Now that Mesh is being deployed to the main grid (2 of 3 beta server channels now have mesh last i heard)
the question comes up what would be needed to use MakeHuman to create a SecondLife avatar??

(also if i wanted to sell MH based avatars how would the credit need to be written??)
robertltux

Re: makehuman and SecondLife

Postby Manuel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 pm

I've not investigated about the SecondLife avatar, yet...I'll look at it as soon as I've time.
About the licensing, look here, at the end of the page:

https://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/licensing

Best,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby robertltux » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:45 pm

stabbing at the subject a bit blindly i think the core of the issue is having the rigging in the export map to the SL rigging
(side issue is of course the number of vertexes in the mesh)

How many folks around here also have an SL account??
robertltux

Postby Manuel » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:17 am

robertltux wrote:How many folks around here also have an SL account??

Mhh..it's not the first time someone talk us about SL, but unfortunately it seem there are no SL users here, or they don't want to help :-(
Unfortunately I'm still very busy, but SL is on my personal todo list.
Best,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby orindoomhammer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:41 pm

as a second life user and a modeler i can tell you this about the make human model, unless you optimize it a ton anyone on secondlife with you will hate you for killing there connection speed. one or 2 wont hurt you but with 5 or so it will not be pretty with second life. however with some optimization and some work ie building a skeleton that has the same names as the second life avatar it might be possible to make a very nice model and still get the SL animations(though i couldnt for the life of me understand why anyone would want to. a 2nd grader playing with an animation package could do better animations while sleeping.) anyway that said Optimization would be the key for second life useage.
orindoomhammer

Postby Manuel » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:51 pm

orindoomhammer wrote:as a second life user and a modeler i can tell you this about the make human model, unless you optimize it a ton anyone on secondlife with you will hate you for killing there connection speed. one or 2 wont hurt you but with 5 or so it will not be pretty with second life. however with some optimization and some work ie building a skeleton that has the same names as the second life avatar it might be possible to make a very nice model and still get the SL animations(though i couldnt for the life of me understand why anyone would want to. a 2nd grader playing with an animation package could do better animations while sleeping.) anyway that said Optimization would be the key for second life useage.

Have you tried our low poly proxy?
Manuel

Postby orindoomhammer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:57 am

yes i wasnt impressed with it not that thats a bad thing its suppose to be low poly but in 3d studio max i have pro optimizer which cuts out alot of geometry with out destroying the mesh or the uv's so thats what i use to decimate my models. i have a model of the sovereign from star trec that is well over 100k polys i dropped it down to 10k with out destroying it or the UV's so it looked great even in game. your low poly proxy is way too low poly for most things even for second life. there biggest problem isn't the polygon budget they work with but rather their mesh optimization, the mesh actually looks like crap when you put it in 3ds max and wire frame it. its like the person who made it didn't know what they were doing. it has a few Ngons and such.

by the way i want to thank you for actually fixing the belly button and the crotch area though you still have a free floating vetex its much much better then having a vertex in the middle of the model with no edges attached to it.
orindoomhammer

Postby Manuel » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:58 am

orindoomhammer wrote: the mesh actually looks like crap when you put it in 3ds max and wire frame it. its like the person who made it didn't know what they were doing. it has a few Ngons and such.

???

Can you illustrate this with some captures, showing me the bad geometries?

Best,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby ThomasL » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:33 pm

MH comes with three different low-poly proxies, named after their creators. Rorkimaru is extremely low-poly, whereas ascottk and forsaken are medium-poly. The ascottk proxy seems to have nice edge-loops, at least when gauged with my programmer's eyes. Have you tried that?

The choice of proxy was used to be made in the file proxy.cfg, but since that felt rather unintuitive I moved it to the GUI yesterday. Should be in today's nightly build.
ThomasL

Postby robertltux » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:18 pm

just to ring the bell Mesh is now live grid wide so if anybody wants to take the challenge the grid is now ready.
(and if anybody wants to and does not have "shop" stuff i do have a Hippo vendor set that can be used)
robertltux

Next

Return to General discussions about makehuman