How do I change the default directory?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

How do I change the default directory?

Postby flameX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:30 am

I use makehuman on ubuntu 18.04. I dont like that makehuman creates a folder in my home directory, How can I change the location of the makehuman directory? (I already know about the --home-location command line option, but i dont start makehuman from the command line) Can anyone help me with this? I would really appreciate any help! thanks!
flameX

Re: How do I change the default directory?

Postby loki1950 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 am

As a normal user where else than your /home directory can you place your data files without invoking elevated privileges with sudo or su that said have look at settings.ini @/home/usernane/makehuman/v1 if that doesn't float your boat not sure where in the Python source code you would need to change after all we have to support three different OS structures though Linux and OSX are similar it's Windows that's the odd one ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Re: How do I change the default directory?

Postby punkduck » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:14 pm

flameX wrote:I use makehuman on ubuntu 18.04. I dont like that makehuman creates a folder in my home directory, How can I change the location of the makehuman directory? (I already know about the --home-location command line option, but i dont start makehuman from the command line) Can anyone help me with this? I would really appreciate any help! thanks!

I'm using 18.04, but also MacOS, to keep the directory names identical I also had to change the directory.

A question before: Did you install MakeHuman from source code or from the distribution?
For the distribution makehuman resides in /usr/bin and is a small bash script starting makehuman.py in /usr/share/makehuman

When you load the source code it is possible that you installed it somewhere else ....

What I did: I created the destination directory (if not already existing), then I moved my stuff from makehuman to Documents/MakeHuman, At the end I simply created a symbolic link.

Code: Select all
cd
mkdir -p Documents
mv makehuman Documents/MakeHuman
ln -s Documents/MakeHuman makehuman

Now there is still a directory but the data is in another place. Also a good idea if you e.g. use an additional disc. Of course you have to look at the permissions when you can't write the data to the new place it does not help. But the mv command will create an error in this case ...

You can also change the starter/launcher (xubuntu/gnome whatever you use) itself, adding the "--home-location" option after /usr/bin/makehuman.
This also should work, but I did not try it.

If you move the files the way I've done, please look at the settings.ini loki1950 mentioned and check if the paths are still valid ... (with the link they should be identical).
I don't know if you also can throw away this file, because it is written after you terminate MakeHuman ... this also means: don't change this file when makehuman is running in parallel, otherwise you will get the result before you changed the file when you terminate MakeHuman (that happened in my case :mrgreen:)
punkduck

Return to General discussions about makehuman