humanmesh reuse and license confusion

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Re: humanmesh reuse and license confusion

Postby Manuel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:27 pm

stoper wrote:Hi,
I have another legal question. Of what I understand I can use model created in mh and exported to blender (from which to my own formats) in my closed source (and probably) commercial game :) . But what about the texture? Can I use (and well, distribute with game) the "data\textures\texture.tif" file, or do I have to create my own texture from scratch?
I assume that I have to create my own skin shader, cause those in "data\shaders\glsl" are part of makehuman software. But this is not as hard as creating texture for me, so its not a problem.

Well, remember that you can use MH model in your closed source game, if your game is NOT makehuman like (i.e. a game to make 3d humans...).
Then about textures, yes you can use the default one, even if at the moment it's just test bitmap.
Manuel

Postby stoper » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Manuel wrote:if your game is NOT makehuman like (i.e. a game to make 3d humans...)

Heh, nothing like that, its a tower defense game. I use model made in makehuman as a character in game tutorial.
Manuel wrote:Then about textures, yes you can use the default one, even if at the moment it's just test bitmap.

Awesome! :D
stoper

Postby jules » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 am

Do you want to create a model editor inside your game using makehuman, and is your game not GPLv3? No, you cannot do that.

A rather annoying limitation for those of us making closed-source games, but understandable. I'm wondering, however, about this approach:

Make a GPLv3 standalone application that behaves as a local server. Any application can connect to it and do one of two things:

1. Request an editor user interface is displayed. The user interface is run as normal and then, when the user is finished, it sends over the connection a save file that can be used to generate a mesh.
2. Request a mesh. The connected application sends a save file, an exported mesh is returned.

The application would, of course, derive from makehuman, and would be licensed accordingly. Its interface would be fully documented, thus allowing:

1. Anyone to use it as part of their own application.
2. Anyone to modify it and integrate the modified version with other applications that use it.

We can also make this application optional, by including basic functionality that works without it (e.g. if it is not present, have a finite set of default models that are chosen with a basic interface), and then it becomes basically a GPL'd plugin, which are generally considered acceptable.

Any comments? Anyone want to work on this?
jules

Previous

Return to General discussions about makehuman