May you suggest a toolchain/workflow

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

May you suggest a toolchain/workflow

Postby wildcard_seven » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Essentially I want to use makehuman to make headshot icons for a web application. I run linux, but I couldn't get makehuman working properly there, so I got it up and running in my windows xp virtualbox.

Anyhoo, I'm not a web designer or graphically orientated by any means. I'm pretty much a programmer with some barebones web essentials. That said, the crudest thing I could come up with is to get my head the way I wanted, change facial expressions, and take a screenshot for editing. If there is a better way, using different tools, if needed, I'd love to know.

Also, a search brought up some different eyecolors to import (blue, hazel, and others that weren't included in the base package). If there are any other imports floating around out there (extra hair, facial hair), I'd be pleased to hear about them.

Thanks
wildcard_seven

Re: May you suggest a toolchain/workflow

Postby derek » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Try exporting a mhx and using it in blender. you can overwrite the texture file for the body and helpers (delete the colour information) which should leave you with just a head. You can change the expressions inside of blender and render screenshots from in there. As makehuman does not have a keyable camera, i'd favour this method.

In the libraries tab you will find plenty of hair options alongside the eye colours. I don't think anyone's uploaded facial hair files, but there's plenty of weird poly hair.

Just to check, are you using the latest stable version of makehuman, or are you using the latest nightly build? the two will differ significantly, because we're into bugtesting phase on Alpha 7, and there's a whole load of new features included since we* last versioned up.

If all of this sounds fearfully complicated, then your way might be the most straightforward.

Derek

* i say 'we' but i mean the guys, i'm not long enough on this project to remember shipping alpha 6.
derek

Postby wildcard_seven » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:05 pm

By keyable camera, you mean manually inputting parameters? I can probably live without that.

I got my version from the downloads/nightly page. Assuming those links are updated dynamically or often, I *should* have the most recent--I didn't pull using svn.

So far, my crude way of doing things is working well. I've been able to take shots into Gimp and add in facial hair and so forth pretty well. I am interested in these extra poly hairs though. I visited the libraries tab and saw the hair selection, but I only see about 5 hair styles. If there are more, I'd be grateful if you can direct me to them.

Thanks for the help/advice.
wildcard_seven

Postby derek » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:17 pm

wildcard_seven wrote:By keyable camera, you mean manually inputting parameters? I can probably live without that.

well, i mean keyframeable, but i think we're on the same page. the point being that you could revert to a camera view incase you lost it towards the end of your captures.

wildcard_seven wrote:I got my version from the downloads/nightly page. Assuming those links are updated dynamically or often, I *should* have the most recent--I didn't pull using svn.

good. the nightly uses the latest compile of Makehuman. i just wanted to ensure you weren't grabbing the alpha 6, because that's pretty old.

wildcard_seven wrote: but I only see about 5 hair styles

sounds about right. i'm rocking with
afro
curly
curly2
long
long2
short1
superafro

i'm sure we can expect some more in time, hopefully some users will feel free to contribute styles

best of luck with your projecty and it would be nice to see the fruits of your labour when you're done.

Derek
derek

Postby windi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:51 pm

yeah I'm in need of some more hair styles, anyone willing to contribute some? I really suck at it
windi

Return to Newbies