Does anyone have some tips for making armor for a character

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Does anyone have some tips for making armor for a character

Postby kerligamp » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:54 pm

I have a makehuman character I want to try out in a game I'm making and have been trying to make some armor for him, but having some problems. What I've been doing is, selecting, and separating out the different parts, arms, legs, torso, head and using a solidify modifier to give it some thickness. The first problem is, this is basically splitting the entire mesh and will have visible split marks, and the splits are less than perfect, given the makehuman model, I believe is sub divided by default, so they're very jagged looking. Also when I UV map them, the Uv's are terrible, no matter where I put seams, or using Smart UV project. I can get a decent shape for a chest plate but when I went into substance painter, and even in the shading tab in blender to try texturing it there, there are many different jagged, off colored patches that almost look like an etching of engraving, basically the UV's aren't turning out well using the Torso of the MH model as the base for it, and I'm looking for something to make it work.
kerligamp

Re: Does anyone have some tips for making armor for a charac

Postby wyattchrist » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:59 am

Hello, I think after applying the Solidify modifier, you can manually clean up the split marks and jagged edges by selecting the problematic areas in Edit Mode and using tools like vertex merging (Alt+M) or edge/face snapping to align and smooth the geometry. suika game
wyattchrist

Return to Newbies