MakeAnimation analogue to MakeClothes, MakeTarget?

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

MakeAnimation analogue to MakeClothes, MakeTarget?

Postby neverconvex » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:36 pm

I'm procedurally generating large numbers of humanoid characters from MakeHuman, but generating additional assets (weapons, clothing, body morphs) for those characters with Blender using MakeClothes and MakeTarget. Is there some comparable system - a "MakeAnimations" - for generating animations that can be exported into MakeHuman?

I know MakeHuman has a Pose/Animation subtab, but (unless I'm misusing it) it doesn't seem to allow for actual posing of characters, just for choosing what kind of rig the character will have on export. I could use targets/shape keys to handle animations, but I don't think those will properly import into Unity (which is where I'm moving all of these characters after generation).
neverconvex

Re: MakeAnimation analogue to MakeClothes, MakeTarget?

Postby loki1950 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:17 am

For the most part all of our poses where done in blender then exported as 1 frame .bvh files the animation tab in makehuman has not been touched in a couple of years so may be very flaky so just using blender is recommended ATM.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby neverconvex » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:24 pm

I see, thanks. The trouble with just using Blender is that, if I export an MH model to Blender and then pose/animate it, although works really well for that single model, re-doing that process over and over again manually for each of a few hundred or thousand procedurally generated characters would be pretty daunting.

Mm, but the MH characters will all share the same underlying skeleton/rig, so maybe I can just animate a single character in Blender and use Blender's exposed Python scripting to copy each rig bone's rotation/position/scale to every other character. Or I can do that on the Unity side of things, but it's probably easiest to do it in Blender first.
neverconvex

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:37 pm

neverconvex wrote:I'm procedurally generating large numbers of humanoid characters from MakeHuman, but generating additional assets (weapons, clothing, body morphs) for those characters with Blender using MakeClothes and MakeTarget. Is there some comparable system - a "MakeAnimations" - for generating animations that can be exported into MakeHuman?

I know MakeHuman has a Pose/Animation subtab, but (unless I'm misusing it) it doesn't seem to allow for actual posing of characters, just for choosing what kind of rig the character will have on export. I could use targets/shape keys to handle animations, but I don't think those will properly import into Unity (which is where I'm moving all of these characters after generation).

Look into Blender's Dope Sheet/Action Editor, which allows you to store animations you can use over and over again. The NLA Editor is pretty cool, too.
Used in conjunction with MakeWalk, these can be very powerful tools.

It's not a simple process and there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get a good workflow, it's a big time saver.
And it's how you store animations to import into Unity.
MargaretToigo

Postby neverconvex » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm

I've used the Dope Sheet/Action Editor in Blender to animate models before, but only to animate a single character at a time - never to export an animation from one character to another with the same skeleton. I guess it makes sense that it should be able to do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
neverconvex

Return to Newbies