Fixing the MakeClothes Targets

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Fixing the MakeClothes Targets

Postby MTKnife » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:55 am

duststorm wrote:Interesting.
Perhaps these fixes could be integrated in the software in time.

I'd consider doing it myself, but I'm not sure which module actually loads the targets. It shouldn't actually be that hard to store both old and new targets, and create a flag to choose between them: as few clothing and hair assets as we have, I don't think it would be a good idea to risk losing those that no one bothers to update.
MTKnife

Postby a.g. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:24 pm

MTKnife wrote:I didn't see the ridge or other stuff, but I believe you.

The ridge is actually rather tiny and unless zoomed in really close is mostly visible as a shading artifact on the surface of the helper - it doesn't look properly smooth. But it shows that the helpers aren't as polished as they could be. It could be that it is accumulated error from various tweakings of the body.
a.g.

Postby a.g. » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Regarding flags, I don't think that will work really. However it may be technically feasible to allow anyone to adapt a piece of clothing to a small change in targets. Currently the problem is that the manual vertex group assignment is lost when exporting an mhclo file, and the only thing left is the computed mapping going directly between base mesh and clothing vertices. This means it's hard to import mhclo back in a way that allows using the regular export process; however if the target didn't change significantly, that old mapping may still be good enough to reuse in the new mhclo file, so only the actual relative coordinate values need to be recomputed.

MakeClothes will only need a way to load a custom target file as human in addition to the standard 4, and a new reexport button similar to the one for changing the UVs. You'd load both targets as humans, import clothing using Test Clothes on the old one, and then reexport mhclo with the new target.
a.g.

Postby MTKnife » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:41 am

That's essentially the same approach as adding the flag--either way, you're just telling the program to use different targets for different pieces of clothing. When you have a whole bunch of assets made with the same target, it makes sense simply to add the flag, rather than copying that one file over and over in the data directory.
MTKnife

Previous

Return to User contributions