Unity 3d Rig

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Unity 3d Rig

Postby bobbylee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:36 am

Hello, I am not sure how many people here use Unity 3D, but I came across this rig for Mechanim on a website and tested it out, all I do is use this rig, export as fbx, bring it in to Unity and set T-Pose and use Autorig and all works really well. I am seeing no strange things as I do with the other rigs. I have applied many Mechanim animations to a few models and love the results.

see attached, rar of unity3d.json , extract, drop in MH folder data/rigs and it will show up in your MH choices.

Credit to who ever put this together.
Attachments
unity3d.rar
Unity rig
(813 Bytes) Downloaded 760 times
bobbylee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:48 am

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby Manuel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 am

Hi Bobblylee,
thank you. Is this the same issue as http://bugtracker.makehuman.org/issues/95 ?
Manuel
 

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby bobbylee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Not the same rig as linked to there, but addresses that first point.

This rig has all the bones that Unity Mechanim looks for in a humanoid, then it is easy to apply mocap's in Unity using Mechanim.
All the others I tried had weird distortions, the best one still had fingers pointing weird.
You never need to go to Blender to animate as you can do it all in Mechanim, as long as you have mocap locomotion data, you can transfer it to your new model.

Export: Choose this Unity rig, feet on ground, fbx, centimeter(works best for me).
Unity Import: Select Humanoid and apply, choose Rig tab, enforce T=Pose and apply, Mapping-Automap, apply.

Note: I have been using the latest Unity 4.5 releases, but I do not expect rig changes until maybe Unity 5 comes out, not sure on that yet.
bobbylee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:48 am

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby Manuel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:55 pm

bobbylee wrote:Not the same rig as linked to there, but addresses that first point.

This rig has all the bones that Unity Mechanim looks for in a humanoid, then it is easy to apply mocap's in Unity using Mechanim.
All the others I tried had weird distortions, the best one still had fingers pointing weird.
You never need to go to Blender to animate as you can do it all in Mechanim, as long as you have mocap locomotion data, you can transfer it to your new model.

Export: Choose this Unity rig, feet on ground, fbx, centimeter(works best for me).
Unity Import: Select Humanoid and apply, choose Rig tab, enforce T=Pose and apply, Mapping-Automap, apply.

Note: I have been using the latest Unity 4.5 releases, but I do not expect rig changes until maybe Unity 5 comes out, not sure on that yet.


Thank you.
Is your rigging better than the one linked in the issue tracker? In that case we will use it officially in MH1.1
(Note: the skeleton format will be different in MH1.1)
Manuel
 

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby duststorm » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Nice work!
Thank you for sharing it. We'll definitely take a look at it while handling the rigs to include in the new version. We want to have at least one rig that works with Unity out of the box.
MakeHuman™ developer
User avatar
duststorm
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby bobbylee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Manuel wrote:Thank you.
Is your rigging better than the one linked in the issue tracker? In that case we will use it officially in MH1.1
(Note: the skeleton format will be different in MH1.1)


The rig I uploaded is for model export by fbx directly into Unity, that other one is a Blender rig.

I guess it would be good for people to have an option, (Unity Blender, Unity Direct)?

I need to know more about the MH1.1 skeleton format to know if this is easily converted for that.
I do not mind trying to convert it when the time comes.
bobbylee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:48 am

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby Manuel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:55 pm

The rig I uploaded is for model export by fbx directly into Unity, that other one is a Blender rig.

I guess it would be good for people to have an option, (Unity Blender, Unity Direct)?


As "rigging" I mean the number of bones, their positions, their names, their roll angles and the way they are parented.
No matter if this skeleton description is from a Blender file or from an fbx, we will get this base structure and then we will elaborate it in order to make an item for MH library.
When the skeleton will be in MH library, it will be exportable in all formats available (fbx, dae, skel, etc..).

So I was asking if your skeleton structure is more flexible and compatible than the one in the Blender file posted in the issue.


I need to know more about the MH1.1 skeleton format to know if this is easily converted for that.
I do not mind trying to convert it when the time comes.


We will document is as soon as it will be ready and well tested, thank you.
Manuel
 

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby bobbylee » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:17 am

Got you, was not thinking of it in that way as handled by MH, feel dumb :), anyway I did try the Blender file one and found a few similar issues using it, hopefully your testing will lead to a good outcome.

Thanks.
bobbylee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:48 am

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby aaronbooth » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:24 pm

That's great, saves me having to reassign the fingers on the game rig. Cheers for that :)

I am thinking when the expressions are back to use them will require a special rig?
aaronbooth
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: Unity 3d Rig

Postby Manuel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 pm

aaronbooth wrote:I am thinking when the expressions are back to use them will require a special rig?


Yes..since there is not a standard in face rigging, any facial rigging is special.
This is the kind of rigging (this is an old version) we are working on: http://vimeo.com/97096194
Manuel
 

Next

Return to User contributions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest