[SOLVED] How to import a full mesh + clothes ...

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

[SOLVED] How to import a full mesh + clothes ...

Postby Ian_Samit » Sat May 08, 2021 8:28 am

I'm trying to work out how to use MPFB rather than MHX2, which I had been using up to now.

Using the MHX2 importer I was able to import a full body mesh plus clothes by selecting "Ignore" for masking.

Using MPFB, either I get only the parts of the body mesh visible outside of the clothing with "Mask" or "Delete", or the model covered in what looks like a nun's habit with "Don't modify".

The only way I've been able to get both model and clothes without the weird robe is to import the model twice - with and without clothing, and re-parent the clothing to the rig of the naked model.

Am I missing something?

I'm using Blender 2.9 on Linux MH 1.2 and have tried MPFB plugin zips from both the community download page and GitHub.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by Ian_Samit on Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian_Samit

Re: How to import a full mesh + clothes into Blender with MP

Postby joepal » Sat May 08, 2021 10:14 am

Are you using MPFB1 or MPFB2?

Can you post a screenshot of how it looks in Blender?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Ian_Samit » Sat May 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Thank you for the quick response Joe.

joepal wrote:Are you using MPFB1 or MPFB2?

It's MPFB1. I did take a look at MPFB2 but you mentioned that some functions I need were not working yet.

joepal wrote:Can you post a screenshot of how it looks in Blender?

Here they are. I also forgot until I went to do the screenshots that "Delete" gives an error. I'll post the screenshot for that last and follow it with the error message.

Here is the screenshot for "Mask":
mask.png

... for "Don't Modify":
dont_modify.png

... and for "Delete":
delete.png

... and the traceback for "Delete".

Code: Select all
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/operators/bodyimport.py", line 14, in execute
    ImportBodyBinary()
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 92, in __init__
    FetchServerData('getBodyMeshInfo', self.gotBodyInfo)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/fetch_server_data.py", line 8, in __init__
    self.executeJsonCall(expectBinaryResponse=expectBinary, params=params)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/sync_ops.py", line 19, in executeJsonCall
    self.callback(json_obj)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/fetch_server_data.py", line 14, in callback
    self.readyFunction(json_obj.data)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 150, in gotBodyInfo
    FetchServerData('getBodyVerticesBinary',self.gotVerticesData,True)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/fetch_server_data.py", line 8, in __init__
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/sync_ops.py", line 19, in executeJsonCall
    self.callback(json_obj)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/fetch_server_data.py", line 12, in callback
    self.readyFunction(json_obj)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 172, in gotVerticesData
    FetchServerData('getBodyFacesBinary',self.gotFacesData,True)
    self.callback(json_obj)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/fetch_server_data.py", line 12, in callback
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 190, in gotFacesData
    FetchServerData('getBodyTextureCoordsBinary', self.gotTextureCoords, True)
    self.callback(json_obj)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 204, in gotTextureCoords
    FetchServerData('getBodyFaceUVMappingsBinary', self.gotFaceUVMappings, True)
    self.callback(json_obj)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 238, in gotFaceUVMappings
    self.afterMeshData()
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 472, in afterMeshData
    FetchServerData('getBodyMaterialInfo',self.gotBodyMaterialInfo)
    self.callback(json_obj)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/fetch_server_data.py", line 14, in callback
    self.readyFunction(json_obj.data)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 497, in gotBodyMaterialInfo
    self.vgroupMaterials(mat)
  File "/home/ian/.config/blender/2.92/scripts/addons/MH_Community/mh_sync/import_body_binary.py", line 430, in vgroupMaterials
    bpy.ops.object.vertex_group_set_active(group=key)
  File "/snap/blender/111/2.92/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 132, in __call__
    ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
TypeError: Converting py args to operator properties:  enum "body" not found in ('nippleTip', 'nipple', 'lips', 'fingernails', 'toenails', 'ears', 'scalp', 'genitals', 'Delete')

Thanks again for your help. I hope this is useful.
Ian_Samit

Postby joepal » Mon May 10, 2021 5:12 am

Yes, thanks. That's very useful.

I think I have a clue on where the problem arises, but I need a final piece of info. Can you post screenshots of how the settings tab look too? Of particular interest are the "Mesh settings" and "Helper settings" panels. I would also be interested in seeing how the modifiers panel (in the object properties) look when having the body selected and after having imported with "MASK". If there is a "toggle helper visibility" modifier there, I'd like to see how it looks expanded.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Ian_Samit » Tue May 11, 2021 4:36 pm

Thanks Joe. Here they are - first for Mask:
mask_settings.png

Then Don't Modify:
dont_modify_settings.png

And Delete:
delete_settings.png

And, just in case, here are the rest of the settings - they are the same for all three, and I'm only changing that one parameter - "How to handle helpers:"

extra-_settings.png

Meanwhile, I was just re-reading the status of MPFB2, and given the problems with MPFB1, I'm thinking it might be easier for me to find a way to work with MPFB2. As things stand, I'm importing with MPFB, re-importing with MHX2 then replacing the materials of the MHX2 model with the SSS ones.

I'll let you know if MPFB2 makes life any easier.
Ian_Samit

Postby Ian_Samit » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:24 am

I found it!

I'm not sure if this is new or I just didn't notice it before, but the functionality I was looking for is in MH under Geometries>Clothes. The option is "Hide faces under clothes". Uncheck this and the full body mesh will be imported through either MPFB or MPFB2.
Ian_Samit

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests