[request] CMU hybrid rig with head of MotionBuilder full rig

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

[request] CMU hybrid rig with head of MotionBuilder full rig

Postby AmmarkoV » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Hello everyone,

Up until now I have been using the CMU hybrid rig for rendering animations with blender but I wanted to make changes to the mouth and I noticed that the mouth is not present at all in the CMU hybrid rig.. A rig that does contain the mouth however, is the "Motionbuilder full rig", and it appears as the CMU hybrid rig has just a subset of these joints.

Unfortunately I have a ton of BVH body movement files already mapped to the CMU hybrid rig, so I figured the easiest thing to do is create another rig like CMU Hybrid but with a full head.

So I would like to make a new rig let's say "CMU hybrid with MotionBuilder Head"
After downloading the .mhskel files and examining them ( CMU : http://www.makehumancommunity.org/sites ... rid.mhskel , Motion Builder full : http://www.makehumancommunity.org/sites ... rig.mhskel ) I do not understand what the indexes in the file format are about. Does anyone have a clue how I should go about creating this new Rig ?

ImageImage

Ideally it would be a matter of cutting the joint hierarchy at some point and pasting the other in

I searched in the forum for answers and the most relevant post was this : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14983&hilit=mhskel#p41766
that mentioned some utilities, ( https://bitbucket.org/MakeHuman/makehum ... c/default/ ) that however have no documentation.. :(

Thank you in advance!
AmmarkoV

Re: [request] CMU hybrid rig with head of MotionBuilder full

Postby AmmarkoV » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:23 pm

I did it ! :D
It was literally copy paste!

if anyone wants this extract the attached zip file to your installation /home/YOU/Documents/makehuman/v1py3/data/rigs/
I also added it to the rigs here -> http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... _face.html

Attachments
CMU_Face_Rig.zip
CMU Plus MotionBuilder full rig
(16.77 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
AmmarkoV

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Unfortunately the mh-utils do not have any documentation. However they basically provide functionality to load and edit skeletons and export weights and skeletons. Currently there is a problem with the skeleton export, because it needs rotation planes defined by hand. You seem to have some knowledge with coding so you can probably make your way through the code.
Aranuvir

Postby AssetDK » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:35 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Unfortunately the mh-utils do not have any documentation. However they basically provide functionality to load and edit skeletons and export weights and skeletons. Currently there is a problem with the skeleton export, because it needs rotation planes defined by hand. You seem to have some knowledge with coding so you can probably make your way through the code.

Indeed I think that it is not easy to make a contribution for the community! Say I have that makehuman-utils-master file and I tried to install it to Blender, but I can not even see it appear/activate in Blender?

From what I understand you are doing you wanted to add some face rig to an existing rig, I can see that you can actually somehow add a rig on top of the existing ones - but again, I don't see where and how to do that. In that way you should be able to combine rigs - say if I wanted the Game-rig to have your face-bones added, I could probably do that within MakeHuman...?

p.s. the utility contains some hiddeen readme file containing this informations - but I can't do that?

Export the rigging
-------------------
1) Select the rigged (and parented) base mesh.
2) File -> Export -> MakeHuman rigging (.json)

Import the rigging
-------------------
1) Select the unrigged (and unparented) base mesh.
2) File -> Import -> MakeHuman rigging (.json)
AssetDK

Postby punkduck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:17 am

Hi

I did that before (in the beginning of 2019) and also wrote my own helpers for blender, first for a cli in python (for Linux), but then also as a plugin for blender. Especially for replacing bone names and stuff I started with a cli version. In all case I tried to figure out the result in the ASCII files, so it was quite basic in the beginning.

As long as you do not add "components" like wings or tail, it is indeed possible to do that. Otherwise you need to extend the basemesh. You even can copy the weights for the face, but the head bone must be replaced. I did that for e.g. the fingers etc. for the Bento, so that I do not have to do my own weight-painting there.

The cmu-rig of MH is created by adding weights from the standard skeleton. But I also did a rig with complete different positions of the bones, I tried the Bento-skeleton and it seems to work, but Bento in game engines like OpenSim uses a different form of the character, so the results will be different in a way.

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16927

I also wrote a tool-set where you can export the .mhw files. There is a blender 2.80 version and 2.79 (see the link in readme.md in github). Because the process of weighting is more iterative, I had more problems with mirroring vertex-groups or geometry of a character. And so I did some functions for mirroring vertices, creating shape keys, etc. All based on a mirror table, which should be created when object (human) is still symmetrical and then will be used by the plugin later.

I used the tools for the bento skeleton and an experimental one at home, with some jiggle bones. I used it also to weight new proxies as a test. But since the table can also be used for other symmetric objects I also used it for the cat I presented in my thread. Maybe it is also sth. you could use for your work. For most cases the plugin (one file) should be sufficient. the rest of the function you don't need.

https://github.com/black-punkduck/MakeHuman-Helpers
punkduck

Postby AssetDK » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm

punkduck wrote:I did that before (in the beginning of 2019) and also wrote my own helpers for blender, first for a cli in python (for Linux), but then also as a plugin for blender. Especially for replacing bone names and stuff I started with a cli version. In all case I tried to figure out the result in the ASCII files, so it was quite basic in the beginning.

Thanks so much, this is - I think - something like what I am looking for. Actually I am thinking about taking out the UE4 mannequin skeleton and use that as the skeleton for MH, or at least attempt to get somewhere closer to what we have today. I made a tutorial on how to get MH characters to UE4, and the skeleton would be a very useful way of getting past some of the basic problems. I guess that many of ud do not need to know all this, and in general I would be happy if I could just get what MH does into UE4 without too much work... (frankly I do not fully understand that the unreal people are up to? It looks like they are doing a big work load to get the mannequin into Blender, while ideally it should be something that should be done once, and not over and over again... )

I will have to read and re-ready this and the other linked comments to learn more. Also I need to play a bit with your addon... thanks for sharing!

From the little I understand at this point I would guess that you can not just save any skeleton as UE4_mannequin .mhskel and expect that Makehuman can match the this and the selected topology.
AssetDK

Postby AssetDK » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:17 pm

AssetDK wrote: From the little I understand at this point I would guess that you can not just save any skeleton as UE4_mannequin .mhskel and expect that Makehuman can match the this and the selected topology.

I actually mannaged to make a new skeleton Uengine_BBP in 30 min, without too much understanding. That is I simply cut/paste everything that seems important, for two "sections" bones and joints, in the .mhskel file. I think this is working, re my doubt in the prev comment, as-is because these parts all have some predefined weights...

It seems like this also imports directly to UE4, where I can open close the jaw,eyelids etc. using the bones! I will dig into the results and add a few more hints!

The operative parts are say jaw, chest1 - say:

Code: Select all
       "jaw": {
            "head": "jaw_head",
            "parent": "head",
            "reference": ["jaw"],
            "roll": -3.141592502593994,
            "tail": "jaw_tail"
        },
        "tongue_base": {
            "head": "tongue_base_head",
            "parent": "jaw",