Project Devonia: ‘Manticore’ – Adventure Game [WIP] [DEMO]

For discussions related to game development, and to game development software such as Unity, Unreal Engine, Godot and so on.

Re: Project Devonia: ‘Manticore’ – Adventure Game [WIP] [DEM

Postby PayItForward » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:23 pm

Hi all,
long time no hear but I finally managed to finish the demo.

Since PD:M is a short game the demo isn't that big either but you can now explore the first five rooms of the mysteriously abandoned oil rig.

To download the files for Windows or Linux you may visit my new itch.io account.
https://weltenberg.itch.io/project-devonia-manticore

I hope you'll be entertained and I'd be happy to hear back from you.
To make this easier I've created a short questionnaire which you can find here:
forms.gle/dUrGWZsQirb1kQr29
It's basically just point'n'click, no registration is required and there's also an option to report bugs or things, well, that bug you ...

Cheers,
Christoph
twitter.com/ChristophCrane_ (Indie author & game developer)
PayItForward

Postby tomcat » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:59 pm

PayItForward wrote:long time no hear but I finally managed to finish the demo.

Congrats on the release of the game! That's a lot of work!! I'll try to find time to familiarize myself with it soon.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby tomcat » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:39 pm

I haven't gotten to the end yet, but so far I haven't noticed any critical glitches. Looks nice.

1. For some reason, the character before doing an action turns around himself.
  2. It will be convenient to make the menu call by "esc".
How did you manage to assign the character animation from Bandai Namco Research Motiondataset?
tomcat

Postby PayItForward » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:31 pm

tomcat wrote:
PayItForward wrote:long time no hear but I finally managed to finish the demo.

Congrats on the release of the game! That's a lot of work!! I'll try to find time to familiarize myself with it soon.

Thanks much for your kind words and for playing the demo, Tomcat! And, yeah, making the demo was quite difficult at times and some things that seemed to be easy at first took me a long time to achieve.

tomcat wrote:I haven't gotten to the end yet, but so far I haven't noticed any critical glitches. Looks nice.

Happy to hear that. :D

tomcat wrote:For some reason, the character before doing an action turns around himself.

I know this, sadly. This is an behaviour that happens sometimes (i.e. when animating the character) for reasons I don't fully understand because it doesn't happen with all animations. In the end I don't think there can be done much about it within the scope of the AGS engine (which has clearly its limits). I hoped to find a work-around and tried multiple commands and different ways to code it but I never had a satisfactory result.

tomcat wrote:It will be convenient to make the menu call by "esc".

Thanks for the heads-up but using 'F5' is the default setting for calling the options menu. I'm not sure it can be changed but even when, I don't know how to do this. :?
Regardless if it's possible, using 'ESC' seems peculiar to me. Is 'ESC' used in Russian games often to call a menu? I'm not much of a gamer but off the top of my head 'ESC' is mostly to abort actions, close menues, etc.

tomcat wrote:How did you manage to assign the character animation from Bandai Namco Research Motiondataset?

I think I never used a Bandai animation with the makehuman rig, or did I? If I remember right I included Bandai in my credits because I imported their animation data with the standard BVH skeleton into Blender and used that as an animated background after which I manipulated my makehuman rig manually. Some of my animations have only two or three individual frames so this wasn't a huge effort. :|
twitter.com/ChristophCrane_ (Indie author & game developer)
PayItForward

Postby tomcat » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:10 pm

PayItForward wrote:And, yeah, making the demo was quite difficult at times and some things that seemed to be easy at first took me a long time to achieve.

That's what usually happens. The practical implementation is very different from the elaborate plan. "The most excellent battle plan is perfect only until the first shot is fired." :mrgreen:
but using 'F5' is the default setting for calling the options menu.

Regardless if it's possible, using 'ESC' seems peculiar to me. Is 'ESC' used in Russian games often to call a menu? I'm not much of a gamer but off the top of my head 'ESC' is mostly to abort actions, close menues, etc.

I hardly ever play Russian games. My games are international. "ESC" — first press opens the menu, second press closes it. "F5" — quick save; "F6" (or "F8") — quick load. It's almost standard.

It should probably be preferably stated somewhere that in this game, F5 is to open the menu.
I'm not sure it can be changed but even when, I don't know how to do this. :?

It surprises me. The engine I work in makes it extremely easy to redefine keys. By the way, I didn't see anything in the game that couldn't be done in Godot. And in the old stable version 3.5.
If I remember right I included Bandai in my credits because I imported their animation data with the standard BVH skeleton into Blender and used that as an animated background after which I manipulated my makehuman rig manually.

And I was already happy :(

Turns out I've gone through the whole game. In my opinion is not enough log (Information acquired).
tomcat

Previous

Return to Game development