about textures editing with subdivision modifier

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

about textures editing with subdivision modifier

Postby okomo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:45 am

would i have to apply the subdivision *before* i begin the uv map + texture process if i plan to export my model? or would the texture adjust to the subdivision when it's applied
okomo

Re: about textures editing with subdivision modifier

Postby joepal » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:50 am

There are different settings for the subdivision modifier in blender. If you expand the "advanced" section of the modifier, you'll see the "UV smooth" dropdown for example. The end result might look slightly different depending on what you choose here.

It is theoretically possible you might get an artifact between two faces on different islands in the UV when subdividing if this is set to something which is not optimal. But in the vast majority of cases, the UV will work without noticable problems no matter what you set here.

But if you intend to do texture painting etc, it's the safer bet to do this without a subdivision modifier. Ie, apply the modifier before doing the texture painting.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Blender and MPFB