Realistic scene

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Realistic scene

Postby merica » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:20 am

Hey guys I am very beginner and I want to know how I should start with Photorealistic Scenes. I searched a whole day on Youtube but there are only Videos for professional users. Can someone help me with an tutorial Video? :(
merica

Re: Realistic scene

Postby Worker11811 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:13 pm

My advice us to just jump in and get your feet wet. Don't worry about trying to make things perfect until you get some wind in your sails, first. Once you have some experience, you'll know, better, what you want Blender to do for you and how to bend the app to your will.

Photorealism is super tricky! It takes a lot of work, both on the part of the computer/software AND from the human who is using them. A good, photorealistic render takes experience to make.

Also... Keep in mind the "Uncanny Valley Effect."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

The Uncanny Valley happens when some technology tries to replicate a human image. For the purpose of this example, let's take a humanoid robot.

An "ordinary" robot which LOOKS LIKE a robot will be easily accepted by a human onlooker. It's obviously a machine and nobody thinks twice about it. However, if you try to make the robot look more like a real human, there will come a point where it starts to look "weird."

If you draw a graph where "realism" is on the X-axis and "acceptability" is on the Y-axis, the slope of that curve will be positive until you get to a certain point. The curve sill slope down until the robot starts to look weird. It takes a lot more work to bring the graph back into positive territory. That "dip" in the curve is called the "Uncanny Valley."

A really good example of the Uncanny Valley Effect is the movie, "Polar Express." It's a good movie. I liked it but the problem is that the faces and some of the animation fell into the Uncanny Valley, giving the viewer a "creepy" feeling.

Now, move on to a movie like "Avatar" where the CGI has been much improved. Yes, it's still CGI and you can easily tell but it doesn't drop into the Uncanny Valley.

My point is that, if you just jump in with both feet, expecting to make 100% photorealistic renders, you're bound to be met with disappointment, at first, until you learn how to keep your work "out of the valley" so to speak.

You'll be trying to make images like "Avatar" and you'll end up with something that looks like "Polar Express." You'll get frustrated and you'll give up.

My advice is to start small and work up. Go ahead and make "cartoon" renders at first. As you learn more, increase your level of realism.

You'll feel a lot more productive and you won't get frustrated so much. You'll learn what Blender can do for you, how to make Blender do what you want it to do and your artistic vision will develop so that you better understand what you want to make with Blender.
Worker11811

Return to Blender and MPFB