My Sci-Fi starship uniforms collection

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

My Sci-Fi starship uniforms collection

Postby Sculletto » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi all,

I would like to introduce my Sci-Fi starship uniforms collection. They all use the same meshes, only the materials are different.

White-White.jpg
Fully white variant
Red-White.jpg
Red basement with white elements
Black-White.jpg
Black basement with white elements
Black-Black.jpg
Fully black variant
Grey-Grey.jpg
Fully silver-grey variant
Grey-White.jpg
Silver-grey basement with white elements
Brown-Brown.jpg
Fully brown variant
Beige-Brown.jpg
Beige basement with brown elements

The shirts and trousers are just the tshirt_long and jeans01 clothes from MakeHuman, I just exchanged the materials and modified the trousers mesh a little to make it fit in the boots. The only meshes that I made completely on my own are the belt and the boots.

I tried to use the boots with MakeClothes, but with little success so far, that's why they are pure Blender meshes. At least, I managed to apply an armature modifier to the boots, with connecting them to the foot vertex groups of the human body, so that I can use them for posing. The same I did for the belt, connecting it to the hips vertex group. Here, you can see two posing examples, the first, a walking pose, with a ST TNG style starship corridor as background, and second, a lying pose, with some observation deck background.

Corridor Walk.jpg
Crew member in red-white uniform walking along a TNG style corridor
Relaxing 4.jpg
Crew member in red-white uniform relaxing on observation deck

The uniforms have been inspired by various Sci-Fi movies and series, e.g. the fully black and the beige-brown uniform by the old Battlestar Galactica series, or the red-white uniform by Joan from Captain Future. The Sci-Fi universe for which I designed the uniforms is one that I sketched on my own.

Some remarks to my experiences with MakeHuman: after I had started with this nice program, I found for a long time that all the human bodies I created with it did not look very nice. Recently, I found out the reason: I had always added a hair geometry to the body, but missed to add eyebrows and eyelashes. As soon as I added both, the human became much prettier, they really make a great difference ;). And what I recently found out, too: it makes a great difference which file format one uses for export from MakeHuman to Blender. Collada (.dae) and Wavefront (obj) exports yield quite low-poly objects in Blender, and make black hair become grey. For really good results, one should use Blender exchange (.mhx) format.
Sculletto

Re: My Sci-Fi starship uniforms collection

Postby Sculletto » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Here is another variant of the lying pose, same background, but in little different setting.

Relaxing 5.jpg
Relaxing on observation deck, different orientation

(This required a new post due to attachment limitation)
Sculletto

Re: My Sci-Fi starship uniforms collection

Postby duststorm » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:43 am

Cool :)
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to Gallery