Flight Jacket Patches

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Flight Jacket Patches

Postby Ambaryerno » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:31 pm

I'm working on modeling a character in MakeHuman that will be 3D printed for an RPG, (Star Wars Saga Edition, specifically) which means any detail I want printed has to be physically modeled, rather than handled via normal mapping and textures.

This is what I have so far in MH:

Kara1.JPG

So far so good, though I WOULD like to get the tail of the jacket so it hangs straight rather than following the body shape, (as jackets tend to do when they're hanging open) but last time I tried to make the bottom half rigid I got weird spiky projections EVERYWHERE (including parts that were NOT set as rigid). Regardless, it's good enough for government work, and the rank badge and wings are pretty much behaving how I want them to (separate clothing objects set as rigid).

The problem is I'm also wanting to add some patches, like squadron insignia and the like. These are more complicated because they're not rigid objects.

For example:

SquadBadge.JPG

This is the character's squadron badge in Blender. It looks fine in there, but if I were to make it part of the jacket itself, it's going to be SIGNIFICANTLY distorted because of the character's...assets. However setting it as rigid will not work because in this case it DOES need to fit to the shape of the jacket.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Am I best off just doing everything I can in MH, setting my pose, and then exporting to Blender for tricky components like that? Or is there a way I can get it to fit to the shape of the jacket while not getting stretched out?
Ambaryerno

Re: Flight Jacket Patches

Postby tomcat » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:04 pm

Ambaryerno wrote:Am I best off just doing everything I can in MH, setting my pose, and then exporting to Blender for tricky components like that?

I believe this will be the best option.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)