New intro anim

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: New intro anim

Postby joepal » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 am

Yet another version, with more fluid transitions. There's still something that annoys me around frames 110-120, it looks like a minor hitching. I'm struggling with the graph editor, but I just can't seem to get around that difference in speed between the pose animation up until frame 110 and the shapekey animation that follows.

Anyway, further suggestions are welcome.

new_intro_draft_03.mp4
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 664 times
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby wolgade » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:57 am

There's something weird going on beetween frame 18 and 30.
anim.png

I exported these frames to an image sequence and arranged them into a new image to show what I'm talking about.
wolgade

Postby joepal » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Obviously my bleak attempt at a lightning flash effect at the start of the video failed horribly with the intended audience... :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:41 pm

A great improvement on the step by step effect!

Things you would play with if you want:
- multiple flashes for the lightning effect
- do a "fade from white" so the body appears as the flash dissipates rather than appearing during the flash
- I don't think the filling in the polygons effect is effective at that scale, I would choose between the lightning and the fill-in, or experiment with reducing the change in scale from fetus to adult
- The unfolding from the fetal position to standing bothers me somehow, probably the physics thing, I would experiment with a z-rotation to head on, and then standing, or drop the fetal position, which is kind of out of scope of the program anyway
- Perhaps also keep the body centered instead of growing in the upper half and then expanding
- The fade to black causes some visual confusion because the body appears to go from in front of the ring to behind it due to the fade, since the final H is within the circle perhaps keep the human within the circle
- I would play with trying to make the Divinci reference stronger, although the spread legs present a challenge
- I don't like the way the shadow of the feet breaks the circle, try it without the shadow

You only go to the young man age, you could experiment with continuing the aging to old age, followed by the fade out

Those are just immediate thoughts/reactions and may or may not be worthwhile.

I just noticed Wolgade's sequence, in that regard I think you could just avoid having the fade back to dark of the baby, keeping him well lit after the lightning fades. Also, extending the aging could allow for, for example, showing weight gain with aging, to demonstrate that MakeHuman allows for more than just the "ideal" body type, which seems to be a limitation of some other software. The downside might be reduced visual appeal...

And just because I have a talent for coming up with stupid ideas, thinking about the possibility of showing additional functionality through extending the aging, it occurred to me to have morphing/fading clothing that follows the aging of the character as a way to show off the clothing functionality. Just because I'm sure that you have a few months of time with nothing better to do. ;)
blindsaypatten

Postby wolgade » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:39 pm

joepal wrote:Obviously my bleak attempt at a lightning flash effect at the start of the video failed horribly with the intended audience... :-)

Ooops! Sorry for not condidering intention! :oops: The trouble with the flash is that it turns the whole frame into white. As I see it, the evolving human and the circle are somewhere in the middle of nothing, outer space for example. In this case a flash light would get reflected by the circle and the human, not by the surrounding, because there is no such thing. The whole image turning white means that we're inside a room and the boundaries of the room reflect the light.

Let's get positive: The transition between the human and "H" looks quite good now.
wolgade

Postby joepal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Fourth draft. I finally got rid of the worst hitching, but there's still an annoying glitch that I can't seem to get rid of. It's only visible when rendered, and is not visible at all in the viewport, which makes it cumbersome to hunt down. Let's see if anyone can spot it, or if I'm the only one who sees it.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm approaching a version which at least isn't outright embarrasing.

new_intro_draft_04.mp4
(754.68 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby loki1950 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:20 pm

I assume that you mean the black spots on the model as it expands looks like it might be a render artefact might try using differing resolutions and anti-aliasing values at the render stage.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby blindsaypatten » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:11 am

loki1950 wrote:I assume that you mean the black spots on the model as it expands looks like it might be a render artefact might try using differing resolutions and anti-aliasing values at the render stage.

I'm pretty sure that is a deliberate effect where the polygons are added as the animation progresses. I don't think it is as effective as when it was larger and you could easily see what it was doing.

The only thing I noticed was the way the thighs touch looks a little weird, and the fade of the model makes it look like it is going from in front of to behind the ring, but that's not really a glitch - it might be neat to have the model fading backwards into the darkness.
blindsaypatten

Postby wolgade » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:41 pm

joepal wrote:Anyway, I'm thinking I'm approaching a version which at least isn't outright embarrasing.

Not embarrasing at all. Apart from the already mentioned "black spots" I really like it.
wolgade

Postby joepal » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Yeah, the comment about the scale being entirely wrong for using the "build" modifier makes a lot of sense.

I'll make tests with either no animation effect at all, or shifting from wireframe to solid and see what happens.

The only thing I noticed was the way the thighs touch looks a little weird,

Yes, this is what annoyed me in this last iteration. When rendered, the thighs seem to snap together at frame 110 (in the shift between two models). But in the viewport this isn't visible at all.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)