Update for Blender 4.0 - Anyone interested?

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Update for Blender 4.0 - Anyone interested?

Postby Unluccy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I still think MHX2 is the superior plugin for Blender - at least for my workflows. The most important part are the automatic rigging, proxy support and phoneme support (even though it could be improved a lot, if the plugin was still being developed).

As I already wrote on BlenderArtists, it would be great to get an update: https://blenderartists.org/t/makehuman-mhx2-plugin-in-4-0/1491948/5

Would anyone reading this consider updating MHX2 for the new Bone Collection system in Blender 4.0? I've been trying myself but failing horribly because I don't know enough about Python and the API.

Important resources for an update can be found in the thread at BA: https://blenderartists.org/t/makehuman-mhx2-plugin-in-4-0/1491948/5
Unluccy

Re: Update for Blender 4.0 - Anyone interested?

Postby tomcat » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:14 pm

Unluccy wrote:Would anyone reading this consider updating MHX2 for the new Bone Collection system in Blender 4.0?

I believe it would be much more convenient to make glTF2 export support.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby Unluccy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:42 pm

I don't really understand how that would replace the MHX2 importer for Blender. A glTF2 file does not get you a custom Blender rig with IK/FK switcher, bone layer system, etc.

That is my main concern.
Unluccy

Postby redkid » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:58 am

4.0? more realistic would be LTS so 3.3 or 3.6. Why? because you should stay on LTS it becomes a cluster fk of addon support if you stray from that. Addon X or Addon Z or any other addon in your list is subject to not be up to date because you choose to use non LTS version.

When you have over 20 addons or a few hundred then potential increases with each addon.

its depreciated anyway and with Make Human being a slow progress i don't think it will come back around MFPB is the standard now.
redkid

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman