Test series: Shoulders

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Test series: Shoulders

Postby joepal » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Now I've also twisted some shoulders out of joint. Not that the toons usually complain.

The shoulders' rotations and weight painting look good all in all. There were just two minor details in weight painting I thought I'll point out so it looks as if I'm doing anything useful.

When rotating arm so it point downwards, I think there should be a compensation on the outside of the shoulder: It should bulge out a bit. To me, the current weight makes it look a bit flattened:

That's a pretty minor issue though, and maybe it's just me.

When rotating arm forward into the picture, there's a slight bulge/candywrap on top of the shoulder that might be polished:

Again, a rather minor issue.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Test series: Shoulders

Postby ThomasL » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:55 am

I just removed the deltoid bone from the shoulder rig, and did some weight-painting. The deltoid implementation was quite weird: it moved up with the arm, but not down. Unfortunately, doing that gave the deltoid a life of its own, which could look very weird especially in animations.

The new shoulder does not look good at all when the arm is raised 90 deg. However, that pose is anatomically incorrect. When raising the arm, the following happens:
-90 - 0: Arm moves
0 - +30: Clavicle moves
+30 - +90: Arm moves.
These poses look ok, IMO.

shoulder.png

The shoulder is slooping a bit when you bend the arm down. You can fix that by moving the top of the arm (which is now called Shoulder) on the tweak layer 10.
You can also rotate the top of the arm relative to the shoulder. Not sure how useful this is, but it didn't cost any extra.

tweak.png
ThomasL

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman