Facegen

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Facegen

Postby timelord1964 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:04 pm

is there anyway to import a heat model designed in facegen?
timelord1964

Re: Facegen

Postby loki1950 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:11 pm

Maybe as a proxy but things in makehuman depend on the fact that the base mesh has a fixed number of vertices that is used by the target sliders.Doing it in blender or an other 3D modelling app would be easier as makehuman is not designed as the end point in the work flow but the beginning.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:37 pm

You could import it as clothes. Think of it as a solid hood which covers the head and neck.

The only requirements would then be that it is in a format readable by blender, and that it is all quad.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm

quite sure it is full of tris. i use face gen a lot and one of the things id really like to do is generate a topology for MH that lines up neck verts with facegen. that way you can export MH model and in blender or whatever scale and rotate your head to line up with the body. hide or delete MH head polygons and snap Facegen verts. this is something i wind up doing per character and it would be nice to at least have a topology with equal vert count. one of the problems is the facegen hi poly head model has no bust so you have to make your seam at the neck and its always pretty visible. to take it a step further i could probably create a new topology for facegen using a default MH model. but i would need some advice as to what specific MH obj to use and i think my customizer license is expired. ill have to shoot them an email and find out. also this is getting into a lot of work, possibly a fair amount of money, and possibly a valuable asset. I'm going talk to the guys at Facegen and get back to you before going forward.
CallHarvey3d

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:37 pm

- i wont be making any models to bring into MH(unless someone else wants to pay for it). Facegen's licensing allows for rendered meshes to be used in final products but costs 2k for a redistribution license for any geometries to be shared or sold. at one point i had a redistribution license but were talking 12ish years ago. looks like creating a MH topology that lines up with Facegen neck verts is going to be the only thing we can do. still waiting on reply from SI
CallHarvey3d

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:03 pm

i never realized it but facegen can export on MH model set. the problem im finding though is that when you convert to clothes and bring it into MH to edit it gets wonky, but you can do head in fg, and body in mh and smash them together in max/blender. i have a full paid version of Facegen so i dont know if the free versions have the makehuman model set. here is a quick Jyn Erso head exported on a smoothed MH model on left and Facegen model on right. FG is much more accurate but the MH model isnt bad at all.
Attachments
jyn.jpg
CallHarvey3d

Postby joepal » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Kind of curious how a commercial application gets to distribute a GPL:ed asset (the a8 mesh) without releasing the source as GPL. If it is the a8 mesh from makehuman and not something corresponding they modeled on their own.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:17 pm

https://facegen.com/modeller_sets.htm
the process looks as though it is designed to allow .target file creation from their head and texture processing. which is pretty cool and seems mutually beneficial. I've tried unsuccessfully to get targets working from this model. its probably something i am doing wrong. i hope this doesn't start any bad relations between you and them. It's possible this feature has always been here and i never noticed it. i'd hate to see it go away now that i've found it.
CallHarvey3d

Postby joepal » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Nah, I'm not going to make any fuzz. I was just curious.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman