MHX2 FacePanel Rig Bone Order Differs Between Characters

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

MHX2 FacePanel Rig Bone Order Differs Between Characters

Postby aialexander » Fri May 13, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello!

I'm attempting to do something pretty specific with the face panel feature in the MHX2 override settings. What I'm attempting to do is to use the MHX rig option in the override import settings panel in Blender with the Face Panel option also checked to generate a number of characters with a facial animation rig. I then want to create other characters using this rig setup so that they can all share the same facial and skeletal animations in Unreal Engine 4 using the same skeletal asset. The problem that I am having is that, in order for this to work, the bones in each character rig not only need to be named EXACTLY the same, but they also need to be listed in the exact same ORDER. Otherwise Unreal sees that the two skeletons technically have different hierarchies and will not allow those two skeleton to share a skeletal asset.

So let's say in my base skeleton I have 4 bones parented to the head. The left and right eye, the tongue, and the jaw.

In the first skeleton that I use as my base, the bone hierarchy would read like this:

Head
    Eye L
    Eye R
    Jaw
    Tongue

In the next character I create all the names are the same, but their order is different so I'll get something like this:

Head
    Jaw
    Eye L
    Tongue
    Eye R
I know I COULD just retarget the animations to the other skeletal meshes using different skeletons, but that's not necessarily efficient if I have more than say two or 3 characters that I want to use the same animations for what SHOULD be the same skeleton. Is there a way that I can generate this setup in a way that would give me a consistent bone order every time? Or is there a good work around to make the bone order consistent that doesn't involve manually reparenting every bone that is out of order?

Below I've attached some examples of what I'm describing as well as a snap shot of my import settings in case that is helpful in figuring out what might be causing this. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it
Attachments
MHSkeleton_02.JPG
And here is what is happening when I try to create a character using the same settings
MHSkeleton_01.JPG
Here is the skeleton I'm trying to use as my base
MHImportSettings.JPG
aialexander

Re: MHX2 FacePanel Rig Bone Order Differs Between Characters

Postby loki1950 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi alex this should really go into the MHX2 sub-forum as it's tom's code not manny's or jonas's that at issue.So taking that into account @joepal could you move this thread there.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Fri May 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Really, since this seems like a bug it'd be even better to report it on MHX2's bug tracker: https://bitbucket.org/ThomasMakeHuman/m ... tatus=open
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby aialexander » Sat May 14, 2016 11:04 pm

Okay I reported it as a bug, is there anything else you recommend I do?
aialexander

Postby Aranuvir » Sun May 15, 2016 12:06 am

Are these really the same rigs? The hierarchy looks quite different.
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Sun May 15, 2016 12:19 pm

aialexander wrote:Okay I reported it as a bug, is there anything else you recommend I do?

No, not really. Wait until Thomas sees the report (he's the maintainer of MHX2).
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby aialexander » Mon May 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Are these really the same rigs? The hierarchy looks quite different.

That's my point. I'm using the same setting for both characters, but the rig is generated completely differently from one character to the next
aialexander

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman