These notes are under construction and may be incomplete
"MakeHuman Community 1.2.0" is a major update of the underlying code, where the focus has been to replace outdated dependencies and modernize the system. Further, a shift in focus has been made to position MakeHuman as a shared tool serving the larger community through integrated access to third party assets and extended functionality.
The following are the changes since version 1.1.1.
- The codebase has received a major overhaul to make bring it up to date with modern versions of Python and Qt
- Third party assets can be downloaded from within MakeHuman with a simple point and click procedure
- There is a completely new Blender integration, with support for socket transfers, IK and Kinect
- Improved internationalization support for non-ASCII characters (backported?)
- ... (Aranuvir: can you add a list of the new features you've written?)
- Improved tag sorting capabilities
- MHX2 is bundled in the default installation
- FBX skeleton will still misbehave
- There are still graphics card incompatibilities in the OpenGL code
To be written
The upgraded codebase
Information about the upgrade and the new base requirements...
This version of MakeHuman bundles the asset downloader plugin. By using this you can access all the hundreds of user contributed assets that are available via the MakeHuman Community.
Within the UI you can search for assets, show screenshots, read about details and download. Downloaded assets are automatically placed in your local asset directory so that you can
immediately go to the geometries tabs and, for example, equip the newly downloaded clothes.
New blender integration
This release bundles a rich set of blender functionalitites, which can be added to blender in the form of an addon. Not all functionality will be listed here, but the following are some highlights.
Import directly from MakeHuman
In blender it is now possible to fetch a toon directly from a running instance of MakeHuman, without having to first save the toon to a file. The importer will talk with the makehuman instance and fetch all meshes (such as the body, hair clothes...), materials, rigs and poses. The process is almost instantaneous (a toon with a lot of clothes might take a few seconds to import).
The importer UI supports a wide range of settings and presets. By using a preset you can, for example, import a body mesh suitable for using together with MakeClothes. This will make it significantly easier to develop assets aimed at a specific body type.
IK and amputations
The importer will use the skeleton set in MakeHuman to rig the resulting character in Blender. The rig can then be extended with the "IK rig" functionality: By clicking a button you can get extra IK controls, and IK chains set up for arms, legs and fingers.
Rigs can also be amputated in case detailed bones are not required.
All rigs currently available to MakeHuman are supported.
To be written
Other bundled functionality
MHX2, maybe more bundled materials...