FAQ:Where are my MakeHuman files found (where is my HOME directory)?
The [Home] folder location for saving MakeHuman user data depends on your operating system (Windows, Linux, OSX, etc..). In the guide below, replace <username> with your actual login name. Typically, you will replace <root> with 'c:\\' (without quotes) on Windows machines, and with just plain "/" (without quotes) on Linux and Mac OSX.
Here is the basic guide to finding the [HOME] folder on your operating system:
- Microsoft Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10: <root>\Users\<username>
- Linux: /home/<username>/ or simply ~/
- Mac OSX: /Users/<username>/
- MakeHumanPortable (all Windows versions): X:\PortableApps\MakeHumanPortable\AppDate (where X: is the drive letter of your removable device)
Your [HOME] folder will, by default, contain a makehuman asset folder called "makehuman" which will, in turn, conatain a folder named 'v1'. The ./makehuman/v1/ contains a series of subfolders separating your personal MakeHuman files: backgrounds, cache, data, exports, grab, models, and render.
The ./models/ folder will contain the .mhm files you "save". The ./exports/ folder will contain the files you "export" in .dae (collada), .fbx, .mhx2, .obj, or .stl format. The ./backgrounds/ folder is where you can place reference images to use in model construction. The data folder, itself, contains many subfoders. The ./data/... subfolders are where you will find clothes and other proxy objects that you import using the asset manager.
In your home folder you will find a subfolder named 'makehuman' that itself contains a subfolder named v1 for user created assets in the MakeHuman 1.X.X series.
For older/deprecated versions of Windows you may find the <home>makehuman/v1/ subfolder here:
- Microsoft Windows 2000, XP and 2003: c:\\Documents and Settings\<username>
- Microsoft Windows NT: <root>\WINNT\Profiles\<username>
- On Windows systems, "Documents and Settings" is subject to internationalization.