Very much in progress: [NSFW] The Nuts and Bolts Bar

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Very much in progress: [NSFW] The Nuts and Bolts Bar

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:33 pm

I have a lot of work left on this project. This is the raucous place called the "Nuts and Bolts Bar" in the small city that has sprung up around the planet's star port. Entertainment hungry spacers flock to the place looking for creature comfort of all types. Even female spacers will find "entertainment" of their liking at the Nuts and Bolts.

___

I patterned this dive bar after one I remember from my times visiting Olongapo City in the Philippines while I was in the US Navy. Being married at the time (and still to the same woman even today) I had no part of the "entertainment" available pretty much just wanting to drink and be left alone. The women that frequented the place were pretty aggressive and that is one of the things I am trying to capture here. My plans for this are for it to possibly be one of the illustrations to a book I've been working on seemingly forever that takes place a millenia into the future. My view is human nature will never change (cynical ain't I?) no matter how technologically advanced we become.

The model itself is going to be part of a much larger diorama depicting a significant part of star city.

nuts-and-volts-bar-exterior2.png
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Re: Very much in progress: [NSFW] The Nuts and Bolts Bar

Postby loki1950 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Love the lighting just missing the smoke from all the recreational products 8-)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:35 pm

Stop reading my mind.... It will warp you! :-D

I have watched several tutorials on making smoke in blender and have not been able to create a hazy smoke from the recreational stuff. While the spacers themselves are forbidden to do stim sticks and other goodies certainly the "entertainment staff" do them just to deal with the job.

When I was in Olongapo in 1981 all the dive bars had this smokey haze to them. How much of that was cigarettes or cigars and how much was other stuff I'm not sure! Mostly though drug use in the PI was very much underground. The PI government has never had much of a sense of humor about drugs.
SaltyCowdawg

[NSFW] Next installment with different vantage point

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:08 pm

closeup-centered-on-quentin.png

Here we have a closeup of Kaja trying to sell herself to Quentin the Engineering Officer aboard the Marigold, a merchant starship in port. Quentin likes what he sees but is not sure he wants to buy.
SaltyCowdawg

Postby loki1950 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:58 am

Warp my mine been there done that :lol: and the recreational combustibles are legal here with edibles on the way with Corona partnering with Canopy Growth.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:33 am

and another view

closeup-bar-area.png

A lot going on in this view. Having some issues with white artifacts showing up randomly on people. I have a feeling the source of those artifacts are two fold. The people are standing under the overhead lights which were modeled as mesh lighting consisting of a "light bulb" and reflector. Secondly there may be issues with the materials for hair and skin that I need to investigate.

If anybody has any thoughts about this feel free to comment.
SaltyCowdawg

Postby joepal » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:24 am

The problem is that you have grossly distorted roughness values on materials. For hair it should be like 0.8. skin maybe 0.7. in your image it looks closer to zero.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:53 pm

joepal wrote:The problem is that you have grossly distorted roughness values on materials. For hair it should be like 0.8. skin maybe 0.7. in your image it looks closer to zero.

Ah-ha! You're right. MHX2 seems to set the roughness to 0.04 or some such. Near zero. Looks like I need to go through all the materials and mess with them which I was already going to do anyway.

Some of the clothing I plan on modifying their textures anyway since I have characters that are wearing the same clothes. Gotta change that by at least changing colors.

The waitresses (see short girl holding a tray wearing an apron) are "in uniform" so they can be the same.
SaltyCowdawg

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Here's another view of the goings at Nuts and Bolts.

danger-close-closeup-of-bar1.png

Immediately in the foreground one of the bar girls is chatting up Josh Jain. Josh is a recent dischargee from the Marines working as a longshoreman in the cargo yards along with the fellow next to him Joe Zephyr (AKA Joe Blow around his friends). Reggie Davies is behind the bar. Reggie isn't really a bar tender but he serves the beer from the cooler. The bar's two mixologists are out of frame for the moment.

Furthest down the bar is the nominal owner Ferdinand Edwards, a disgraced army Colonel. He sits there usually alone and early into the evening he is quite inebriated and often ends up on the floor having passed out and fallen from his bar stool. Ex military visiting the bar avoid him and the non-military types have picked up on this and avoid him as well.

Coming from the backroom Lydia (no surname) and Barry Jefferson are returning to the bar. What happens in the back room stays in the back room.

Ferdinand's wife and bar co-owner Vanessa acts as the overall business manager of the place. She rules the bar with an iron fist and especially keeps the bar girls in line. Secretly Vanessa has been plotting to rid herself of the husband. Everything about the bar is in her name anyway. Ferdinand is prohibited from owning a bar officially but "owns" the bar due to the fact that his muster out pay started the bar in his wife's name.

More characters are being built in MH and will show up soon.
SaltyCowdawg

Postby joepal » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 am

Another general feedback is that I think a bunch of discreet spotlights here and there would make the light setup feel more dynamic. You dont necessarily need more light on the people, but with strategically placed brighter areas, there would be a broader light range and more contrast in the scene.

Paradoxically I think the dark in the scene would be emphasized more if there were brighter areas too.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Next

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)