How to use FaceIt on MakeHuman models?

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

How to use FaceIt on MakeHuman models?

Postby MrColz » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:42 pm

Hello,

I have done the whole process of assigning vertices and aligning the face templates (the teeth were a pain haha) but when the rig is generated the face really doesn't want to move. The only key that worked perfectly were the eyes. I left some pictures here. Any ideas on how to fix?

https://imgur.com/a/EQMoD0C
MrColz

Re: How to use FaceIt on MakeHuman models?

Postby joepal » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:13 pm

I have no idea. It would be hard to give an answer since I don't own FaceIt.

Maybe you already had a rig in the character, such as the default skeleton? I can see how it could be a problem if you try to mix two armature modifiers in the same mesh.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby DrHas » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:12 pm

I'm working on it as we speak. The issue seems to be Arkit and finding a universal way to record facial mocap for retargeting. I.E Apple vs Android. I don't use Crapple, terrible digital dictators imo. I've had success in rigging and getting data transferd, but the bones are an issue. This could be a mistake at my end though and my lack of knowledge. I've started trying to use Audio2face NVIDA and Omniverse to create mocap, which Faceit also can interpret...I'm still struggling with retargeting data to model. This may be an Omniverse issue and again, my complete lack of knowledge using said software. I'm playing with it, but it will take time to work through. Audio2face is still a work in progress too. Faceit can also do FBX - there's a free Mocap app for android, but again I haven't been able to transfer data. My feeling is, it's only a matter of time, that it works but I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong or indeed not doing right! Big difference. One thing I am doing and trying is importing model into Blender with no rig. I then use Facit and Rigify. I'm very knew to rigging...it's the most boring part of the whole process lol. My point being, I'm knee deep in this stuff and bogged down. I'm having better luck with BVH files and the CMU with face rig in Blender.
DrHas

Postby DrHas » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:17 pm

I forgot, I'm goinb back to Blender 2.93 LTS to see if this helps. I will be continuing these experiments over the coming weeks. I'm working on other animation projects at the moment and working on technical difficulties. I tend to start trouble shooting...get bored. Start work or trouble shooting something else, get bored and return to what I was doing before. Like voice cloning lol. I do get things done though.
DrHas

Postby DrHas » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:59 am

I've got it working. There's a couple of ways to create facial mocap using Faceit. The issue is, you need an Iphone for one of the ways. Although, there is an addon, on Blender market, but it doesn't record the full 52 arc shapes. So, I use NVidia Audio2face which is free. I will, because I have been working on some how to vid on this very topic, but I will try and finish the Audio2face vid today for u. The processes of Audio2face are complicated, until u know the process. Once you have it though, it's really quick.

There's also BlendAr, which is free again, and this time uses Rigify as the rig. Faceit isn't needed. And better still, the facial mocap can be captured via an app - both Android and iOS. I've almost finished a how to vid on this too. The issue with this way is Rigify, parenting, teeth and the tounge. I've almost got there with this too. With some jiggery pokery, I almost fixed the teeth issue the other night. You have to reparent stuff, change the type of parent and do a bit of weight painting. All of which, isn't my speciality, but I'm getting there.

I really need to pull my finger out, I've been working on this shit for months, along with the skin shader, which I've improved by combining a paid for addon and combining the best bits of the Makehuman shader. This is on top of transferring my 'real world' photography skills into Blender. I know lol. I'm a bored, mad bad and dangerous to know polymath with ADHD speeding through the universe lol. Don't take me too seriously...I don't. I will get right onto how to vid.

Ben
DrHas

Postby eunicemohr » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:41 am

There could be a few potential reasons why the face rig is not deforming the mesh properly in your character model:

- Check that the vertex groups are assigned correctly to the different parts of the face like mouth, chin, cheeks etc. Make sure vertices belong to the right groups.

- Ensure the groups have the appropriate weights painted well. There should be a smooth falloff from 1 to 0. Blend and tweak weights if needed.

- Verify the rig bones and controls are linked to the proper vertex groups and have sufficient influence. geometry dash

- Test basic shapes like smile/frown to see if certain areas deform more than others. Adjust weights accordingly.

- Pole targets may need adjustment to get better curvature around the mouth and eyes.

- Increase deform axis divisions in rig settings for finer deforms.

- Apply corrective smooth/linear meshes or shapekeys for mouth and eyes.

- Retarget existing working face rigs as a test. See if issue persists.

- Check for face topology issues, uneven edge loops may cause poor deformation.

Without seeing your specific blend file, it's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. But going through deformation troubleshooting like above should help identify and fix the problem. Share some blend files if still stuck!
eunicemohr

Postby delwynedna » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 am

Check that your armature is in its default or "rest" pose when generating the rig. Some issues can occur if the armature is in a different pose during the rigging process. bitlife
delwynedna

Postby hundredevergreen » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:56 am

so helpful information. thx :mrgreen:moto x3m
hundredevergreen

Postby sirmarcelo » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:22 am

Yes! You can use FaceIt to add expressive facial animations to your MakeHuman models, bringing them to life with realistic and dynamic movements. Experiment with different expressions, poses, and animations to create compelling and engaging characters for your projects.

Mr. Marcelo Hills solar companies
sirmarcelo

Return to Blender and MPFB