MPFB2 - create human without helper geometry

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

MPFB2 - create human without helper geometry

Postby MrP » Fri May 20, 2022 9:52 am

I've been using the makehuman 2.0 alpha plugin for blender, trying to create a human mesh with as many shape keys as possible. I want to use this mesh in the godot game engine. I'm having issues though because of the helper geometry and the mask modifier. If I export the mesh in the gtlf format with the modifier applied, all the shape keys and vertex groups are gone. And if Ieexport it without the modifier, then all the helper geometry is shown and while the shape keys are there and working, the mesh is messed up.
are there any workarounda on this?
MrP

Re: MPFB2 - create human without helper geometry

Postby tomcat » Fri May 20, 2022 7:55 pm

Maybe my MH into Godot tutorial will help you. I used the Godot Blender Exporter. Godot 4 has this plugin built in, but it only works with Blender 3.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby MrP » Fri May 20, 2022 8:34 pm

Importing from makehuman 1.2 has no issues other than the lack of shape keys that concern the eyes and the body like weight and gender. I'm having issues when I'm generating a human in the 2.0 alpha plugin
MrP

Postby tomcat » Fri May 20, 2022 10:00 pm

I'm very sorry, but I don't really understand the question. Are the problems occurring when importing into the engine or when creating a character?

From the first post:
MrP wrote:If I export the mesh in the gtlf format

are there any workarounda on this?

Using the "Godot Blender Exporter" plugin is a workaround, instead of using .gtlf .

The sample shape keys work in the engine — character maturation, works together with the eyes:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19896
tomcat

Postby MrP » Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 pm

Is the character in your example created in blender using the 2.0 alpha plug in or in the 1.20 software?
MrP

Postby tomcat » Fri May 20, 2022 10:30 pm

MrP wrote:Is the character in your example created in blender using the 2.0 alpha plug in or in the 1.20 software?
tomcat

Postby MrP » Sat May 21, 2022 10:03 am

Im trying to follow your tutorial but im having some issues like i posted on your thread
MrP

Postby marvisb » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:33 pm

I have almost the exact same question, except I am using Unreal.

I made a character in Makehuman 1.2, then import that into Blender. Either from file -- or over the socket

Socket seems better because you have more parameters for the import. I made an import preset. There is an option when making the preset to "Delete" helper geometry -- this is exactly what I want. I just need the body with morphs so I can export.

The only way getting the mesh with morphs into Unreal works is if you export from Blender without applying modifiers. However, that means you get the helper geometry.

If I manually delete or separate the helper geometry, it messes up the morphs (which makes sense, as it is changing the vertex count).

When trying to import over socket with helpers deleted, however, it fails and I get a stacktrace

(https://imgur.com/a/JMKvDzi)

This seems like what you were looking for too, maybe it would work for you. From the stacktrace it seems like when importing from MH with helpers deleted, there is a discrepancy in the vertex count (which yeah, makes sense, but that's what I'm trying to do)

I will keep fiddling with the settings.
marvisb

Postby joepal » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:21 am

Actually, when you have finished modeling a character, there's no strong need to keep the base mesh nor the helpers anymore.

If you have applied a proxy mesh, you can simply delete the "body" mesh before exporting.

Or if you don't want a proxy: in MPFB, you can go to the operations -> basemesh panel and first bake all shapekeys and then delete the helpers.

Obviously you can't continue modeling after having done this, but it will give you a much cleaner set of meshes in the export.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby marvisb » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:21 pm

What if I wanted to keep the shapekeys though?

Basically I am trying to create a base character mesh that has shapekeys, that can be exported without helper geometry, and used in a game engine.

I have gotten very close to achieving this, but the helpers are, uh... not helping with that. I realize this may be a somewhat unusual use case but it has a lot of potential.

I managed to get a character from MakeHuman imported and animated (mostly) properly in Unreal, so I know that part at least can be done.
marvisb

Next

Return to Blender and MPFB