asset directory

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

asset directory

Postby MatCreator » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:19 pm

i think this system is totally awesome and love the direction its heading...

i installed the add-on, correctly i hope, but am having trouble getting it to read my asset directories. in one instance, i point it to the data folder in the documents folder on my c (original) drive. the few things ive downloaded via the community tab in makehuman show up in the list. in another instance i point it to my d (secondary) drive, where makehuman is actually installed. it shows my skin textures, but none of the other assets in my system.

since i havent downloaded any content yet, other than the few items i uploaded myself and makehumans native content, what do i do to get the add-on to read everything in my system?
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
MatCreator

Re: asset directory

Postby MatCreator » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:26 pm

Untitled-2.jpg

skins are available, but nothing else...
MatCreator

Postby joepal » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:26 am

The first thing to try is check the "autodiscover" checkbox. If that does not help, you can enter the path to your local user data directory, normally DOCUMENTS\makehuman\v1py3\data.

Note that you need to restart blender before settings are used.

If none of this works, I'll be very interested in finding out why. But I'll be away until sunday.

In the meantime, you could go to the developer->log panel, set the "default" log level to debug, restart blender and then skim through the logs to see exactly what folders are scanned. Maybe this way you can see some clue to what happens.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby MatCreator » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:42 pm

this really is amazing, im totally floored...

i had tried the autodetect before, and that did not work. that was actually the first thing i had tried. after i posted, i did some poking around, saw your youtube videos and the page where it said we needed the asset zip. so i installed that, and it seems all that content is now available. i also downloaded some items from the community tab in the original makehuman program (by a creator named joel palmius), and some items i had uploaded early in my learning stage as well, and those too still show up. i read your post, started from scratch, installed the version from the 24th, autodetect still did not work (maybe?!?), but ive cleared the directory info from the preferences, unchecked the autodetect, and still everything is showing up........ almost =P

i had installed some rigs, the ones for unity, unreal and 2nd life, but those are NOT available in the rig selection drop down. thats a little different, wasnt expecting them to, but just a heads up.

shoes02 gives error when trying to load, and shoes01 and 04 are the same.

are there any options for posing?!? im all kinds of new to this system and blender in general, and was wondering what users do for posing of characters? i notice that in testing some options under rigging become available depending on which rig you use, but none allow loading of any of the presets. are we suppose to be able to access the poses in the makehuman library yet, or is there a setting that allows it. how would we go about applying animation files to the generated figure?

if you add a clothing item, how do you switch to another one?!?

is there a way to add expressions?

is this going to allow for particle hair?!? not that i know anything about that yet... just asking.

and again, i think this is so awesome. the way we get to manipulate the textures for the eyes and skin... high five all the way
MatCreator

Postby MatCreator » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:52 pm

so i think the autodetct is working. i cleared the paths, checked it, restarted... downloaded new stuff from the community tab in makehuman standalone, and those items are showing up. awesome.
MatCreator

Postby joepal » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:58 pm

The MH style poses, expressions and rigs are not compatible with the MPFB2 style poses unfortunately. This is because BVH is a horrible stone age format which requires all kinds of arcane programming to parse. The rigs and poses in MPFB2 are simple json files with bone positions and rotations. This is also the reason that the poses are rig specific. At some point I'll try to write a BVH parser for MPFB2, but it's not on the top of the todo list.

Regarding posing options, I'm about to make a video for that. But basically, you can create a pose under create assets -> makepose and then load it under rigging -> apply pose. Poses are rig and mode specifik. So if you have the default rig with helpers enabled when creating the pose, you will need to have the default rig with helpers when trying to load it. Otherwise it won't show up in the list.

Partial poses is a pose involving a few selected bones. My idea is that, for example, expressions can be created as partial poses.

For clothing, simply delete the item and the delete modifier on the body. Then select the new item. I guess it might make sense to implement a clothes toggling functionality same as in MH at some point, but atm you will have to remove clothes items manually.

Particle hair is a long term dream of mine, but it's pretty far down the todo list.

And thank you for the shoe error report. I hadn't seen that. I get the same error, so I'll see what I can do about it.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby joepal » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:18 pm

The shoes crash is fixed in https://github.com/makehumancommunity/m ... e7faff8213, which will appear in tonight's build.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby ecophobic » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:35 pm

wow thanks for this thread.... I'm struggling with the same thing on MAC OS....

I know that some mods feel like a discord is too easily susceptible to malware.... But i really wish our community had a live chat place to share info....

Once i get better im gonna make youtube tutorials on make human to spread this amazing gift.
ecophobic

Postby joepal » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:36 pm

I'm not against discord per se. I'm just not eager having another system to maintain.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby tomcat » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:38 am

joepal wrote:This is because BVH is a horrible stone age format which requires all kinds of arcane programming to parse.

What are the alternatives for animation now?
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Next

Return to Blender and MPFB