Copying a mesh to a second armature

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Copying a mesh to a second armature

Postby pepo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 pm

Hello, I have a problem with MakeHuman armatures in Blender. I exported two characters (say M1.mhx2 and M2.mhx2) with MakeHuman default Skeleton, and imported them in Blender. Now when I want to add hair, I select the M1.Body mesh, duplicate the scalp vertices into new Object (M1.Body.001), rename it to M1.Body.Scalp, and can add hair particle system here. But how do I move or copy this M1.Body.Scalp to the M2 armature? Using the "Parent" property and set it it M2 fails to move it correctly. Using Copy/Paste additionally copies the armature, then M2 collection has two armatures.

copymesh.png
pepo

Re: Copying a mesh to a second armature

Postby punkduck » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:34 am

Well it works. But it could be that you have to do some tweaking for the destination character, when both characters are different

I would recommend to have one file for each character (not to lose data for the first one).

So in this situation: simply delete the skeleton of the first one. The weights are still there, These are simply float numbers in the range of 0 to 1 (used as weights) assigned to each vertex.

Then throw away all what is not needed, so eyes + body of the first one, so basically you have the new character + the scalp.

Now parent the scalp to the second one (object) and select the armature again in armature modifier (which has no entry after deleting the skeleton).

Now pose head of the character ... should work then :)
punkduck

Re: Copying a mesh to a second armature

Postby pepo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 am

Hello punkduck, deleting the armature beforehand is a simple step that I did not try, but now it works and I can move assets between objects using this trick. Thank you so much!
pepo

Return to Blender and MPFB