Makeclothes2 error

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Makeclothes2 error

Postby jpujolar » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Hello,

I keep getting this error message when I try to load clothing (a given piece, the helpers, anything). There seems to me no right way of doing it and the tutorial does not explain how to actually do it.

ERROR MESSAGE: "This mesh does not have the HelperGeometry vertext group. Maybe you didn't import with detailed helpers?

I have imported the human with "body, parts, clothes." No idea what I am doing wrong, if this is the case.
Attachments
Screen Shot 12-03-20 at 06.52 PM.PNG
jpujolar

Re: Makeclothes2 error

Postby jpujolar » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:53 pm

There is a tutorial on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xATm4zRloPQ

It does not work like this for me: see the difference and the fact that the extract clothes button remains unactive after selecting the human; it becomes active if I "mark as human" the imported mesh; and then the extract button gets active, but it does not extract or import anything anyway:
Attachments
Screen Shot 12-03-20 at 07.49 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 12-03-20 at 07.52 PM.PNG
jpujolar

Postby punkduck » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 pm

jpujolar wrote:There is a tutorial on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xATm4zRloPQ

It does not work like this for me: see the difference and the fact that the extract clothes button remains unactive after selecting the human; it becomes active if I "mark as human" the imported mesh; and then the extract button gets active, but it does not extract or import anything anyway:

Looks like your mesh does not have helper structure imported then. Body is one part of the complete object (the reason why it becomes becomes active). The video does no go too much into details. MakeClothes is not really doing much for extracting clothes, it looks for vertex group names and display them, after that this group is duplicated as an own asset.

Please read:

• Load the human via MPFB
  • Create simple clothes (extract from helper)

in this documentation

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Documentation:ClothesV2
punkduck

Postby jpujolar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:50 pm

I have read the documentation a few times but I do not connect what it says to the problem.

Why would my mesh not have helper structure? I got it by importing from MH (1.2) directly.
jpujolar

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:46 am

This may be redundant as an answer but did you happen to mark your imported human as a human helper object via the panel?
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby jpujolar » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Elvaerwyn wrote:This may be redundant as an answer but did you happen to mark your imported human as a human helper object via the panel?

If marking the the Human as "Human helper object" means a) selecting the human mesh in blender, b) in the makeclothes tab panel click the "mark as human" button...
then the answer is yes. Otherwise, only in this way "Extract clothes" becomes active.

More information and questions:

In the on-line documentation on MC2, there is the sentence "smoothing: MakeHuman may use smoothing on a base mesh. This results in a mesh with 4 times as many vertices. This mesh cannot be used for MakeClothes."

What would this mean? I have not found any reference to "smoothing" in any other part of the MH documentation. I have also tried to create clothes by importing a human after deactivating "Add subdiv modifier", to no avail.I have also retried by doing "shade flat" to the mesh in blender. MakeClothes does not create any clothing either.
Last edited by jpujolar on Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpujolar

Postby jpujolar » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:53 pm

More info on blender direct import behavior.

I have found that if I keep changing the geometries/topologies, and add other clothing to the mesh such as shoes, I can sometimes get a body and/or helpers. "Body" gets a replica of the human mesh and "helpers" get the full helpers. No other piece can be produced.

Check the picture how body mesh and helpers appear in different positions in blender (this is how they appeared. I have not moved them myself).
Attachments
Screen Shot 12-20-20 at 06.48 PM.PNG
jpujolar

Postby punkduck » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Well, I am not sure, what happened exactly ...

So first some common things. MPFB normally was designed to get a character from MakeHuman to blender, so with all it's assets and materials. This should always work. This way is normally done with "default" presets in MPFB settings.

It can also be used as a base for MakeClothes or MakeTarget and therefore the other presets were designed. So for makeclothes you have to load the makeclothes presets and for maketarget the one for maketarget. In this case don't add other clothes ... although it should not cause trouble.

These presets for makeclothes should work out of the box, but It is possible to overwrite them what of course will cause some trouble then! If you are not sure about that:

The presets are saved in the blender configuration path. If you saved them with wrong parameters, simply delete them, they will be rebuilt with standard values when used again.

(linux path is <HOMEDIR>/.config/blender/<blenderversion> ... there are files called makehuman.makeclothes.settings.json, Windows must be similar)

Btw. the grey character in your image is the correct one for makeclothes, so it is below origin, yes. The position of the other character looks like "default" settings.

Smoothing in MakeHuman is this button:

smoothing.png
smoothing.png (22.59 KiB) Viewed 6581 times

Do not use it here.

Smoothing in Blender is subdivision surface algorithm, it is doing the same (catmull-clark algorithm), but as long as it is not applied it should not cause trouble for the human. But it will work for clothes, so I recommend to switch off "allow modifiers" in makeclothes or to delete this modifier completely. As long as you create clothes it has no real benefit, it is mainly for rendering.

Shading smooth or flat does not change geometry and has no relevance, except smooth looks better on body and clothes.

If you have helpers available you can see here:

babyhelper.png

(btw. I took a character with clothes, I used my "baby romper", it also works)

You can also make the helper visible by switching the mask modifier off like in this picture:

showmasked.png

Technically "extract clothes" is only selecting and duplicating part of the mesh. If you select all the vertices of the red tights, duplicate and separate it normal way in Blender you do the same manually. It will also work ...
punkduck

Postby fake_Person » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:14 am

Yeah I need a more help on this makeclothes
, it keeps saying i don't have these
14 year old deadbeat http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature#
fake_Person

Postby jpujolar » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:55 pm

Many many thanks, punkduck. I will need a while to carefully go through the comments and instructions. Once I manage to work out things, I will try to make a tutorial and share it.
jpujolar

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests