MakeTarget2 .target file spec

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

MakeTarget2 .target file spec

Postby Philodendron » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 am

I have a question about how Maketarget2 works, not how to get it to work, I figured that out, I refer to the .target file specification and format.
What I am trying to do is to take a full body morph and clear it from below the neck, or clear it above the neck.
That way for example I could apply one target put an anime head on a figure and a comic book superhero body. Silly example but you get the idea.
I tried hacking the .target file (it is just text) Vertex numbers 0-13379 seem to position deltas the body in XYZ.
So by picking the appropriate vertexes should work to make a Frankensteined .target file.
(For proof of concept I use Excel. My python skills are rudimentary)
this actually get fair results with the mesh some neck editing in Blender can fix.
The problem are the bones. First of all the eyes do not change position. It seems that the head bones influence is gone. Changing the pose from the defaut results in melting contortions worthy of Dali.

I do not know why this is a problem, or exactly how Maketarget determines the bones' new position.
Changing the vertex positions in Blender/Maketarget definitely changes the bones in MakeHuman- normally.
There does not be any additional vertexes in the mesh imported by MakeHuman Plug-into act as bone markers.
But the .target file has vertices 13380 tp 19149 that do not seem to have an analogue in the mesh.
Perhaps this is generated internally by MakeTarget via software?
But if it does generate it via software from vertex deltas, why does using the Frankensteined morphed mesh from MH as a Shapekey not yield correct results?
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
This is what I trying to do (based on Anime Stylized target)
Philodendron

Re: MakeTarget2 .target file spec

Postby punkduck » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Philodendron wrote:I have a question about how Maketarget2 works, not how to get it to work, I figured that out, I refer to the .target file specification and format.
But the .target file has vertices 13380 tp 19149 that do not seem to have an analogue in the mesh.
Perhaps this is generated internally by MakeTarget via software?
But if it does generate it via software from vertex deltas, why does using the Frankensteined morphed mesh from MH as a Shapekey not yield correct results?

Well the documentation of maketarget itself is still missing, I will do this. But the vertices and how the bones are placed etc is explained in

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Documentation:Basemesh

The documentation I partly rewrote, if sth is still missing, simply ask. But I hope it already answers how it works internally.
punkduck

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:04 pm

This may be of some help too https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3tqSdHitr9c
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Philodendron » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:54 am

Thanks!
That was the missing piece of the puzzle.
It was pretty easy to come up with a technique for subdividing modeling targets into their respective body regions.
It works quite well.
Rather than go into boring detail I'll give an example
Below is is a figure made from the body of pppancho6 Basedoll and the head of Oscalon/DredNicolson Anime Stylized model.
And yes it poses perfectly.
If anyone want to know the specifics I can provide the boring details and EXCEL file I used as a technology test.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-24 214715.jpg
Philodendron

Postby nomorecookies » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:56 am

In blender, i did the same thing by selecting the vertices below the neck line and pasting in the influence of the Basedoll shapekey.
Same thing for the head but selected above the neck line and used whichever head morph i wanted.
then, merge these two new shape keys together and you end up with the basedoll body, and whichever morph you choose for the head controlled by the same slider.
done by setting both to 1 and telling blender to make a new shape key from the current values.
Export as target and bring into MakeHuman.

i did it this way simply because it is often easier for me visually, instead of with raw data.
nomorecookies

Postby Philodendron » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:03 pm

nomorecookies wrote:In blender, I did the same thing by selecting the vertices below the neck line and pasting in the influence of the Basedoll shapekey.

Interesting.
I am a Blender noob. Exactly how do you do this in blender?
Philodendron

Postby punkduck » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:17 pm

So I added the Documentation for MakeTarget now ... it replaces old one (which is still available in our history folder) ... ;)

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Documentation:TargetsV2
punkduck

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests