Shading/coloring skin of MH figure in Blender

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Shading/coloring skin of MH figure in Blender

Postby carlcarlson » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:29 am

I apologize if my questions are unutterably dumb. If they've already been answered please point me in the right direction.
So I have imported a MH figure into Blender 2.83. I found a tutorial for skin that allowed me to improve the look a bit; it involved nodes, that's about all I can tell you. But it's uniform all over the model. How does one make the lips look redder? I've tried going into edit mode, highlighting (as best I can) all the vertices for the lips, copying them to form a new object. I've tried painting that object alone, but it doesn't seem to affect the color once I look at it in render mode. Any suggestions?
carlcarlson

Re: Shading/coloring skin of MH figure in Blender

Postby nomorecookies » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:26 am

I am going under the assumption that you are using the MPFB to import.
Under the settings tab, near the bottom, within the 'Extras' section, there are checks for 'extra vertex groups' and 'slots for extra groups'
Go ahead and check these when importing, and this will give you the vertex groups and slots you need for ease.
At this point, with as far as you've gotten already, the next points may be obvious now.
make sure you have the 'body' selected. go into edit mode.
Now, while in edit mode, make sure no vertices are selected, then using the 'vertex groups' section, select lips and click 'select' this will basically get you to the point you are already at by manually selecting the vertices of the lips.
now click the 'materials' tab. there should be a list of materials. select the one that is ''yourcharactername'.lips', click assign. now change the shading color as desired. Notice this has little to no effect.
'Use Nodes' should be highlighted at this point. Drag open another viewport under your main 3d window, or wherever you want. switch this to 'Shader Editor'
note that the color you chose should be visible where it says 'colorMixIn'. under that, there is a slider labeled 'colorMixIn'. slide that up and you should see the color on the lips change.

I am by no means an expert, but that is how i got it to work after reading your question.
Good luck
Last edited by nomorecookies on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
nomorecookies

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:27 am

In your case I'd use a general approach of texturing, which works not only for MakeHuman but can used on any 3D model. You can paint black and white masks that can be used as a mix factor to either mix colors (Mix RGB Node) or mix materials (Mix Shader Node) in case you want more gloss, too. There are plenty tutorials on Youtube, explaining the work flow.
Aranuvir

Postby carlcarlson » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:09 am

Thanks so much!
carlcarlson

Postby carlcarlson » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:40 am

nomorecookies wrote:I am going under the assumption that you are using the MPFB to import.
Under the settings tab, near the bottom, within the 'Extras' section, there are checks for 'extra vertex groups' and 'slots for extra groups'
Go ahead and check these when importing, and this will give you the vertex groups and slots you need for ease.
At this point, with as far as you've gotten already, the next points may be obvious now.
make sure you have the 'body' selected. go into edit mode.
Now, while in edit mode, make sure no vertices are selected, then using the 'vertex groups' section, select lips and click 'select' this will basically get you to the point you are already at by manually selecting the vertices of the lips.
now click the 'materials' tab. there should be a list of materials. select the one that is ''yourcharactername'.lips', click assign. now change the shading color as desired. Notice this has little to no effect.
'Use Nodes' should be highlighted at this point. Drag open another viewport under your main 3d window, or wherever you want. switch this to 'Shader Editor'
note that the color you chose should be visible where it says 'colorMixIn'. under that, there is a slider labeled 'colorMixIn'. slide that up and you should see the color on the lips change.

I am by no means an expert, but that is how i got it to work after reading your question.
Good luck

Again, thanks for the advice.
A question: when I go to import my figure into Blender, I use the MHX2 import. I check the 'override' box. I don't see any 'Extras' area, nothing about 'extra vertex groups' or 'slots for extra groups'. What am I missing?
carlcarlson

Postby carlcarlson » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:09 am

nomorecookies wrote:Now, while in edit mode, make sure no vertices are selected, then using the 'vertex groups' section, select lips and click 'select' this will basically get you to the point you are already at by manually selecting the vertices of the lips.

Good luck

I managed to create a vertex group 'lips'. But after I select it, and go to mat'ls tab, there's no 'list of materials' with an entry saying anything having to do with lips.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm such a dolt at this.
carlcarlson

Postby loki1950 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:14 am

He assumed you where MPFB as the import method not mhx2 MPFB is a socket connection between makehuman and blender (plug-in for MH and a addon for blender.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby carlcarlson » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:47 am

loki1950 wrote:He assumed you where MPFB as the import method not mhx2 MPFB is a socket connection between makehuman and blender (plug-in for MH and a addon for blender.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Ah. Got it, thanks.
carlcarlson

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:27 pm

nomorecookies wrote:I am going under the assumption that you are using the MPFB to import.

I might also like to add this works with a generic mesh. If you apply any proxies this goes right out the window. I just experimented with this and found out the hard way.

So my question is there a way to get around this limitation. I have a few proxies I use as a starting point and would love to have the extra slots for various body parts. :-)
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby carlcarlson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:26 am

OK, so I'm using the MHX2 import method, I get my MH figure into Blender, I've applied a texture, I get into texture paint, I get the UV unwrap thingy on the left, I can paint on it or directly on my figure. I save the image. Now how do I get what I painted to show up when I render the image? Every time I hit F12 or z-render I see no evidence that I've painted anything. I apologize for my ongoing stupidity at this stuff.
carlcarlson

Next

Return to Blender and MPFB