Help WIth IK handles in Maya

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Help WIth IK handles in Maya

Postby Giankharlo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:43 am

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the assistance , I'm using an FBX exported from MakeHuman with a rig , Importing it to maya and there I have tried to put an IK handle for the arms , but for some strange reason it doesn't work the Ik handle doesn't respond as It should , is there any way to export FBX with a rig that has IK handles already set on the models ???
Giankharlo

Re: Help WIth IK handles in Maya

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:06 am

Chances to find someone using Maya are extremely small in the forum, sorry.
Just a short notice: MakeHuman's fbx export of armatures is faulty. We'd recommend to bring the model to Blender via MPFB or MHX2 and do the fbx export from there. The pipeline might be slightly inconvenient, but currently no one is working on the fbx plug-in, and Blender is free...
Aranuvir

Re: Help WIth IK handles in Maya

Postby RobBaer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Aranuvir is generally correct. That said, several years ago, I played around with workflows to move to MH exports into a variety of downstream programs including Maya ( a program I know little about), http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... odesk_Maya. One of the things that I learned during this process is that it is not just how the exporting program (MH in this case) handles FBX export, but it is also about how the importing program (Maya in this case) handles the exported FBX during import. To make things even more complicated, Blender and Maya (at that time) did not seem to handle their own exported FBX files consistently. As a consequence, what Maya exported as FBX did not arrive back in Maya in an intact fashion when imported by Maya.

To get to the root cause of failed IK, you may need to track down not only whether the proper data is getting into the file on export, but if its there, whether it is getting into Maya upon import. As a Maya user you may be better able to learn what Maya expects from an FBX in order to properly parse it. Only then can we check whether MH is able to supply what is needed.

Sorry - that's all I have :?
RobBaer

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests