FEATURE REQUEST: direct entry @ more measurements

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

FEATURE REQUEST: direct entry @ more measurements

Postby IronGhost1973 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Hello,

I'd like to request a couple of things that would make modelling real humans into CGI much Easier:

Besides SLIDERS, a way to direct enter measurements to adjust sizes would be very nice.

Some sliders for length and diameter have no measurement readout, so trying to enter peoples measurements is very difficult to get the outcome you want.
IronGhost1973

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: direct entry @ more measurements

Postby loki1950 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 am

The sliders only have values between 0-1 and the there is no mathematical relationship to real measurements so what you want is impossible with our para-metric targets paradigm the measurements are done by calculation on the final mesh in other words adding each line in the mesh at a specific scale.We get asked to do this at least once a week but as I said it's impossible.This is an artistic tool not a CAD project.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby djstatika » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:56 am

loki1950 wrote:The sliders only have values between 0-1 and the there is no mathematical relationship to real measurements so what you want is impossible with our para-metric targets paradigm the measurements are done by calculation on the final mesh in other words adding each line in the mesh at a specific scale.We get asked to do this at least once a week but as I said it's impossible.This is an artistic tool not a CAD project.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Im not sure if the request was to be able to enter an end measurement or for a way to enter the 0-1 number directly, personally i would still welcome the latter... I'm currently trying to get a specific height via microscopic mouse movements...

Could we not have something like:
arrow keys adjust by 0.1% when hovering, and/or: right click brings up a prompt where you can enter an exact number (for the 0-1 value)

Would make life much easier
djstatika

Postby punkduck » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:25 pm

djstatika wrote:
Im not sure if the request was to be able to enter an end measurement or for a way to enter the 0-1 number directly, personally i would still welcome the latter... I'm currently trying to get a specific height via microscopic mouse movements...

Could we not have something like:
arrow keys adjust by 0.1% when hovering, and/or: right click brings up a prompt where you can enter an exact number (for the 0-1 value)

Would make life much easier

Turning mouse-wheel and then press mouse select button is a bit better sometimes. As long as you turn mouse-wheel geometry is not updated. This happens when you press the button, at least on my box. In the 1.2 version new features would not be included otherwise we will never come to an end.

But tbh. I also thought of better techniques as a 2nd way ..

If you have real measurements of detailed parts, like nose it could work. But often it is like that: you create a character and it is about 1.76m ... then you change head and you have only 1.74 ... we are not resizing the whole character when somebody changes the head shape etc.
punkduck

Postby djstatika » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:52 pm

thanks for the tips
djstatika

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests