MakeClothes2 switches & dials

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

MakeClothes2 switches & dials

Postby Davidus » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:12 pm

PunkDuck is one of the authors, or THE author. I am looking for some clarity. I got it working. There are areas that are unclear to me.
Mainly setting up the textures.. what can I "do" with the clothes after MakeClothes has created them? Perhaps these are "Blender" questions.

Also, can I use existing clothes as "helpers"? LIke shoes.. hats.. a suit.. a trenchcoat?

What Blender functions are good for details? Sew? Extrude?
Attachments
makehuman import3.png
makehuman import2.png
makeclothes setup2.png
makehuman import.png
makeclothes setup.png
Davidus

Re: MakeClothes2 switches & dials

Postby punkduck » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Well I am partly author of MakeClothes and I was not able to start(!) a proper documentation until now. But I promised that a few weeks ago.

At least now I started and of course there will be changes in future because all of the tools are not yet final versions.

Especially when you look at your own screenshots, it is MakeClothes, the MakeHuman plugin for blender using socket communication and MakeSkin.

The socket communication will provide the human for MakeClothes, but MakeClothes is also able to load it in another way without the plugin, here my documentation will be improved later, because when I create clothes it is a job for some hours and MakeHuman is usually not running in background then. So I use to append predefined meshes (latest version in my branch scans files in a directory and will propose the meshes found as a base mesh, this software is not yet in the master).

MakeSkin is the program to create materials. Without MakeSkin, MakeClothes creates a simple white material which can be changed in MakeHuman later.

Here is the first try of a documentation;

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Documentation:Features_of_new_Blender_plugin

Some of your questions will be explained when you read the text (mark as ... buttons). It is possible to modify existing clothes (MakeClothes is able to load an existent .mhclo-file) and I also explained some basics, like what a helper is and what can be used as a human base mesh.

We had so many changes and experiences the last years so that I want to add all the knowledge later into our wiki (like how to create heels etc.). Until then I can only link another article about creating clothes from the past:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14024
punkduck

Postby Davidus » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:19 pm

:P Thanks, many things are explained. Blender is a intimidating piece of software. I needed to watch the basics videos. Select, Delete, Add. And learn them well. There are a bunch of cool addons. The paid addons such as Garment-Maker, Clothes Maker, are a bit pricey.

The "Body" helper is very good. Once you learn to cut away the mesh you want easily, it looks like you can do a lot. Now how to fatten the mesh, then use the Cloth Sculptor.

It "looks like" it is better to start from scratch. I've tried the "crude hat" from the MH libraries...and some other items off of CG trader and BlenderSwap.. but the mesh is funny. While using Blender, I must run again and again to YouTube for tutorials.
Davidus

Postby MTKnife » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:06 am

You can use existing clothes (like the "crude" ones) as a starting point, but that's a different issue from using the helpers--the latter are used to map your clothes, after modification, to the MakeHuman body.
MTKnife

Postby Davidus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Here I am trying to make some pants. I start with the "body" helper. Then cut out some mesh to separate feet, pants, shirt. THEN.. I use SCULP. Using the "Blob" brush. Initially, I was simply trying to select faces and scale them. This seems better. Well, is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

PS: when I get too carried away with the Blob sculp, it starts to have holes in the mesh. Is there a smarter way to do this? I am open to suggestions as far as addons.
Attachments
blender pants.png
Davidus

Return to General discussions about makehuman