UV Map Layout in Armpit area

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

UV Map Layout in Armpit area

Postby bogdan666 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi,
does anyone know how to change the uv map layout in the armpit area in a non destructive way, because any skin texture has bad stretches with arms up poses.

The mesh looks fine with one subdivision applied+shape keys for every rotation angle, but I can't get rid of the stretched skin texture look with arms up poses.

It's even visible with 4k textures (esp. with armpit hair on the texture)

Is there any way to change it without destroying the whole uv layout, because everything else looks fairly good.
I need some form of uv map rearrangement while keeping most of the skin information during the process....
Attachments
mh_uv_map.png
bogdan666

Re: UV Map Layout in Armpit area

Postby bogdan666 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:25 pm

I've found a fairly good "emergency" solution, that doesn't need a full uv layout rework/full repaint.
It is possible to cut out the critical area from the uv layout (like it was done with the feet and hands....) and place it somewhere else on the image, where there is some free space, scale it to a larger size and then repaint that part with the clone tool and/or with help of a stencil texture and voila you have a texture, that looks better with raised arms poses. Not the best way to do it, but a fast solution.

Are there plans for the future to rework the character topology (for better deformations) or to make better uv layouts without need for emergency solutions like what I did?
bogdan666

Return to Blender and MPFB