Detached head proxie without ears

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Detached head proxie without ears

Postby smonbrogg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 am

I'm trying to create a proxie for only the head, detached from the body.
The problem is I would like to have mesh close the neck.
My goal is to create a lot of 'sphere heads'..
The problem is that the mesh closing the neck gets messed up. Is there a way to tell makeclothes that some mesh is inside the human?

The geometry in blender before exporting to makehuman with makeclothes
head_blend.png

head_blend_wire.png
blender wire

The geometry in makehuman as topology (renamed .mhclo to .proxy)
head_mh.png

head_mh_wire.png

Thanks for any sugestions!
smonbrogg

Re: Detached head proxie without ears

Postby punkduck » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:17 pm

No, there is no special method to do it. But when you load all parts of the Ava character I did, most of the parts are inside the "human". So it obviously works.

The problem is, that faces of your clothes or proxies will try to follow the nearest vertices (vertex-triangle). And in your case it could be the inside of the mouth. Makeclothes uses the vertex-groups left, mid and right. A vertex assigned to group right will not follow a vertex of group left. So assign all faces of the body belonging to the head to a group called "head" and do the same with your head.

Don't use left, mid and right (so no "create vertex groups" on the proxy, or simply delete the groups Makeclothes did).
Leave out the faces inside mouth on the standard body. You can also use two groups like "head" and "neck".

Sometimes it needs some testing. As an example: For a lot of clothes I need to do special groups for the arms ... so that the sleeves will not stick to the body because body is nearer than arm. It is the same problem.
punkduck

Postby smonbrogg » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks for your answer, that helped a lot!
I was able to improve my proxy with your advice quite a bit already. I hope I'll get it working nicely with some more try & error.

What still confuses me:
If I load Makehuman and don't change any sliders, my proxy already looks different from the model I exported.
I was assuming that when no sliders are changed the proxy-mesh should not be changed because it's the default mesh without modification.
Now I guess that when Makehuman is loaded and no sliders are touched there are already some targets that change the mesh. Is that correct? Is there a way to set all target influences to zero in makehuman?
smonbrogg

Postby joepal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 pm

This is because MH applies a few targets per default (33% of each ethnicity, 50% of each gender) whereas makeclothes operates on the raw base mesh.

There should be a combined target you can download which modifies the base mesh in the same way. You can use maketarget to load the base mesh, load this target and then model the clothes against this.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby smonbrogg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:23 am

Ok, thanks for the clarification!
smonbrogg

Postby smonbrogg » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Ok, now I started to edit the mesh that was loaded by makeclothes before exporting, and I'm starting to get closer to my goal

sphereHead.png

Still the mesh is a mess, but I'm getting there :)

sphereHeadMesh.png
smonbrogg

Postby joepal » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:07 am

If you want to get a flatter surface on the neck cut, you could experiment with assigning a "*" group with those specific verts:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... ng_a_sword

It is not obvious it would be an improvement in this case, but it might be worth a shot.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby smonbrogg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:24 am

wow, that's a very helpful trick! :-)
just a quick test with the neck-cut gave much cleaner results using the * vertex group!

Now together with loading the default targets I'm pretty confident I'll get this working perfectly :D
smonbrogg

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests