forehead wrinkles

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

forehead wrinkles

Postby Joshea » Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 am

Hi,
I'm looking for a forehead wrinkles target asset for the attached character. He's suppose to be around 70. I'll try and make one, if nothing is out there, over the next couple of days. :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 10.11.42 PM.png
Joshea

Re: forehead wrinkles

Postby joepal » Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm

I'm not necessarily saying that this is how it should be done, but an alternative approach would be using a normal map. The mesh density in the forehead might not be enough for believable wrinkles.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Joshea » Sat May 04, 2019 1:22 am

I tried sculpting in the forehead wrinkles, however, rendering became a major problem. The modifier, multires, creates too many vertices. Slows down my mac mini way too much.

The answer to this point, put a hat on the character that covers the forehead. Thanks all anyway.
Joshea

Postby joepal » Sat May 04, 2019 8:23 am

Normally, you'd only keep the multires until you've baked the normal map. Then it can be removed. See for example https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blen ... l-maps.php

Theoretically, you should be able to mask away all vertices except the relevant ones during this procedure.

(This said without knowing if the mac mini would be capable of this either)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby punkduck » Sat May 04, 2019 2:13 pm

Joshea wrote:I tried sculpting in the forehead wrinkles, however, rendering became a major problem. The modifier, multires, creates too many vertices. Slows down my mac mini way too much.

The answer to this point, put a hat on the character that covers the forehead. Thanks all anyway.

Here is another workflow: if you are already in Blender, also need the geometry for wrinkles and do not want a normalmap you can do the following:

just select the faces of the forehead in edit-mode, then select "mesh" "edges/subdivide" with e.g. a factor of 2. Then only the forehead is subdivided. The skin texture will not be destroyed, weights and groups will be copied so it should work while posing.
... now do your weight painting ... I did a quick test on one of my characters ... not very natural, I know. But it show that it works.

wrinkles.jpg

Btw.: This should also work on a Mac Mini. For posing etc. switch subdivision surface off in edit mode, if you use that. The first 34 pages of the "gallery/the daily life of models" were rendered on a small quad-core MAC Mini.
punkduck

Postby Joshea » Sun May 26, 2019 1:23 am

Hi,
I spent some, but not a lot, of time trying to get wrinkles on the forehead. I abandoned the forehead idea and used MH options available. Attached are two pics of the character I'm going with for now. He's supposed to be a short order Chinese cook that looks 'burnt out' (too many years doing the same thing for lousy money). I'll give him eyebrow expressions in the timeline.

Comments, good or bad, are welcome :D .
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 9.05.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 9.03.48 PM.png
Joshea

Postby loki1950 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:39 am

I like it :) and the crows feet at the eye corners looks like he's ready to pick up his dao and wack the dishwasher for using soap on his wok.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby RobBaer » Sun May 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Good character development. The skin tone looks great (at least on my screen). Wish you hadn't given up on the wrinkles. :?
RobBaer

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader