Legal question - brands and logos?

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Legal question - brands and logos?

Postby dedivo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,

beeing on vacation and having time to play around I just modified an existing asset, the female yoga suit and the martial arts shoes:
I separted the parts (top, pants, socks) from the original yoga mesh and created new materials.

Now here is how this can look like:

Zwischenablage01.png
Zwischenablage01.png (36.2 KiB) Viewed 4637 times

Zwischenablage02.png
Zwischenablage02.png (45.54 KiB) Viewed 4637 times

As far as I understand, the AGPL allows modification and redistribution auf files, thus I could share my work with the community.

But what about brand symbols (like the "three stripes")
Are there issues publishing them as part of an asset?
Or is this allowed, because its a kind of artwork?

AFAIK this topic is not by the FAQ, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong....

Thanks

Chris
dedivo

Re: Legal question - brands and logos?

Postby RobBaer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:45 pm

What is considered fair-use likely varies greatly with country.

I found an interesting 2012 post about art and these thorny use-issues in the US. Warning: I don't have a clue what might be happening in 2019, and I have no legal expertise at all. :D And, remember that Andy Warhol became famous for painting a Campbell soup can. :mrgreen:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120 ... ment.shtml
RobBaer

Re: Legal question - brands and logos?

Postby punkduck » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 am

Hi

Official Shoes06 = Nike, well the symbol is even mirrored on one of the shoes. :lol: The martial art shoes are from a Japanese company which is more used by runners and triathletes than the ones of this company with the 3 stripes directly in my neighborhood.The pattern can also be found on nearly every shoe from them. All my jeans are from a U.S. company where the founder was born in Bavaria :D

I leave out brands nevertheless or replace them with my logo or sth. else. I do that for objects, like the camera I used in my thread in the gallery also. When you do a texture directly with a photo you made of your own clothes then they also will be there. When you take a picture of yourself and put that to social media you also do not have to hide all the logos.

As far as I know: as long as you yourself don't earn money with that there should not be problems. I would leave out the logo at breast region nevertheless.
punkduck

Return to Community discussions