Can I use tangent normals?

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Can I use tangent normals?

Postby Cortu » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:50 am

Theres some stuff i would like to upload. The normal maps don't seem to work tho. From what I can tell, MakeHuman assumes camera normals, but I believe my normals are tangent. Is there a way to set the normal type in the material file? Is there any documentation for the option in the file? I haven't found any. Its not a huge problem. It would just make things look a little nicer in the editor.
Cortu

Re: Can I use tangent normals?

Postby MTKnife » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:57 am

Makehuman has a slot for a normals file, and exports it correctly with its associated asset, but it's not rendered in MH itself.
MTKnife

Postby Cortu » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:22 pm

MTKnife wrote:Makehuman has a slot for a normals file, and exports it correctly with its associated asset, but it's not rendered in MH itself.

This is not the case. If "shaderConifg normal True" is present the normals will show up. Try this. This seems to show the effect of the normals but without the diffuse.
Code: Select all
diffuseTexture someTexture_diff.png
normalmapTexture someTexture_norm.png
shaderConfig normal True
shaderConfig diffuse False

If you want both I believe the settings are something like this. I don't really know what most of this dose tho. I'm just sort of guessing.
diffuseTexture uni1228_afroF_diff.png
normalmapTexture uni1228_afroF_norm.png
normalmapIntensity 1.0

shaderConfig normal True
shaderConfig diffuse True

shadeless False
depthless False
castShadows True
receiveShadows True

If you want to pass the normal map without showing it in the editor, then this seems to work. I don't think you have to say "shaderConfig normal False" explicitly tho. I think it defaults to False.
normalmapTexture uni1228_afroF_norm.png
shaderConfig normal False

I don't know how to setup the normal type tho. If it is possible then Id like to set them to tangent, but if not then its not a bid deal.
Cortu

Postby MTKnife » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:17 pm

I personally can't get normals to display even with the shader flag set to "true" (I just tried it again to be sure, using your instructions), and I've been told, by those who should know, that the shader in MH doesn't do normals. If you've got a normals file that actually shows up, I'd like to see it.
MTKnife

Postby RobBaer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 pm

I remember Dustorm working on normal code for MH 1.0 although I have neither tried using normals nor do I know for sure he got them fully implemented. At the time I remember mention of tangent normals, but I think only in the context of converting, not implementing.

All I can help with on the history side. Sorry. :(
RobBaer

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 pm

@MTKnife

Can you check punkduck's evening gown (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... _gown.html) with the latest version of MakeHuman (best run from source). Are there any errors. If so, can you provide a log file?
Aranuvir

Postby MTKnife » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:15 pm

I'm running the 1.2 Alpha 2 as an executable. Before I download the source, has there been a change since Alpha 2 that would make normals work?
MTKnife

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:26 pm

MTKnife wrote:I'm running the 1.2 Alpha 2 as an executable. Before I download the source, has there been a change since Alpha 2 that would make normals work?

No, not to the normals. But if you have a dGPU that didn't work before, it might be working now.
Aranuvir

Postby MTKnife » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:21 am

Would a failure to use the GPU result in the normals' not working, but everything else displaying just fine? It's an NVIDIA laptop GPU, for the record.
MTKnife

Postby MTKnife » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:07 am

Just downloaded Alpha 3, and yeah, the normals map works fine on the evening gown. Bump maps I guess have never worked, though (at least, the one I have on a tank top designed by o4saken doesn't).
Last edited by MTKnife on Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTKnife

Next

Return to Newbies