Help test a graphics card fix

Locked forum where the devs and staff post news about the makehuman software

Help test a graphics card fix

Postby joepal » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 am

With the help of mr_tawan (see viewtopic.php?p=47094#p47094), we now have a potential fix for the problem with makehuman not starting or being empty after start, particularly on AMD graphics cards. Whether this fixes the problem for everyone remains to be seen.

Because of this, there is now a specific build available for windows. This is basically alpha 2 plus some fixes, including the above graphics card fix. You can download it at http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... -win32.zip.

It would be very helpful if you tested this and reported back. Both reports of "it worked" and "it did not work" are interesting, particularly if you also add information about your graphics card. Even if alpha 2 worked just fine for you, it would be nice to have this build tested too, in order to ensure we didn't break anything.

If the feedback for this build is positive, we'll wrap up this fix and a bunch of other fixes on the roadmap, and forge ahead with alpha 3 in the near future.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Help test a graphics card fix

Postby djleo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:59 pm

I would like to test with Vega 64 AMD card. Found some bugs on Ubuntu and reported.
djleo

Postby MargaretToigo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:28 pm

It works on my Windows 10 system with an AMD Radeon HD 7560D, MS driver version 15.201.1151.1008

Previous versions did not work for me, the screen was blank and white.
MargaretToigo

Postby wolgade » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm not entirely sure whether this is the right thread to post to. Unfortunately you'll find bug reports and test results for Python3 spread all over the forum.

This is not about Windows, but Ubuntu 18.04 and the alpha release you'll get when using the ppa. It's not about AMD, but Intel integrated graphics. There's been a bug with Intel graphics on Linux for quite a while. Now the good news: It looks like this bug is fixed. At least that much is true for my quite old laptop and Intel i3-3110M (Ivy Bridge, HD-Graphics 4000).
wolgade

Postby joepal » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm

That is good news, and not entirely surprising. The fix was intended for AMD, but should be beneficial for many cards.

Concerning the PPA, I uploaded what was to be alpha 3 last weekend, so all graphics card fixes are included there. Then we discovered something that merited a re-build and pushing the announcement until later, but the graphics engine in the current PPA is the same now as it will be in the final alpha 3 release.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to News from the crew