Babies

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Babies

Postby GT324 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:42 pm

I am trying to see if this software is suitable for making models of very young babies rather than adult people as the proportions are completely different. This is for a medical research project

The other big issue for me is that I want to make a large population of babies that are all similar but not completely the same, like a real population. This therefore needs to be generated programmatically, rather than using a manual interface. Can this be done in this software?

Finally I also want to generate the spontaneous movements seen in very young babies programmatically, but I imagine that this is best done in blender. Is that right?
GT324

Re: Babies

Postby loki1950 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Welcome aboard GT your first question an easy yes have a look the Random tab that's the manual interface but it can be scripted to create batches all the underlying code is Python for your second yeah that's for blender all right and each movement needs a separate animation.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby GT324 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks very much for your reply. That is very promising and I will have a go at it now
GT324

Postby GT324 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:03 pm

I am afraid that things do not seem to have gone a smoothly as I hoped. I examined the randomize command, but unfortunately this seemed to randomize everything and I created a 1/2 man, half woman models that was sort of middle aged. I was hoping to make a random selection of babies, so is there any way of defining ranges of values or something like that?

I also tried to sort things out by scripting and found a very interesting video by Rick Murphy. Unfortunately when I followed his advice to click the Utilities tab, it did not reveal a scripting tab, as promised. This video is dated 2016 so it is not surprising that things have changed. Is there any more modern documentation for scripting? Or any documentation for dealing with these type of issues at a lower level?
GT324

Postby joepal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:04 pm

This will be included in alpha 3, which is about to be released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHnJX-TdT4

I guess this is what you're looking for.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:40 pm

Still wondering about the medical research task...
Aranuvir

Postby RobBaer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:16 pm

GT324 wrote:...
I also tried to sort things out by scripting and found a very interesting video by Rick Murphy. Unfortunately when I followed his advice to click the Utilities tab, it did not reveal a scripting tab, as promised. ...

There should still be a scripting tab, but it may not be visible by default. Go to settings | plugins and make sure that 7_scripting is checked. You will probably need to restart before the tab shows up.
RobBaer

Postby GT324 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Still wondering about the medical research task...

The research involves the early diagnosis of cerebral palsy. It is not obvious when a baby is born whether it has CP as no baby has proper control of its limbs when it is first born.. Medical researchers believe that certain types of motion can be identified as a predictor of CP and it would be good to be able to find algorithms that will spot these movements using image processing. The problem is finding enough ill babies to train the image recognition systems. My idea is to make populations of model babies instead, but they will have to show the realistic variations that we observe in the real populations of babies.

DO you feel that you could contribute to this?
GT324

Postby GT324 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:06 pm

RobBaer wrote:
GT324 wrote:...
I also tried to sort things out by scripting and found a very interesting video by Rick Murphy. Unfortunately when I followed his advice to click the Utilities tab, it did not reveal a scripting tab, as promised. ...

There should still be a scripting tab, but it may not be visible by default. Go to settings | plugins and make sure that 7_scripting is checked. You will probably need to restart before the tab shows up.

Thanks. I'll try that in a bit
GT324

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:27 pm

DO you feel that you could contribute to this?

Sorry, but neither my programming skills, nor my knowledge of neurology are good enough to be helpful in this research task :( . But we try to support you as much as we can, anyway :D.
Another hint: if you run MakeHuman from source and install jupyter, you'll get a better shell inside MakeHuman. Perhaps you want to take a look at this plugin, too: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/c ... assproduce

Edit: I had missed Joel's post, sorry. :oops:
Aranuvir

Next

Return to Newbies