Attaching clothes or extensions after importing into Blender

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Attaching clothes or extensions after importing into Blender

Postby TheBragi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:09 am

Is it possible to attach, while in Blender, additional MH extensions to a MH model that has already been imported into Blender? Or do I need to go back into MH, attach them to the original model, then re-export the model from MH, then re-import it into Blender?

The reason I am asking is that I have numerous MH models already imported into Blender, where I did additional work on their materials and textures. I'm seeing some user-contributed MH hair and other extension that I'd like add to several of them, but would rather not go to the trouble of re-exporting, re-importing and re-working them one by one.
TheBragi

Re: Attaching clothes or extensions after importing into Ble

Postby joepal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:44 am

The short answer is no: You cannot easily apply for example clothes to an already existing blender model

The longer answer is: While you can't apply clothes, you can reuse materials, textures etc, even when edited. In the new blender integration (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAwfR-G813g), there is a checkbox regarding materials. If you give your materials the name it would get when imported from MH, you can choose to re-use the existing material rather than overwrite or duplicate.

reusematerial.png
reusematerial.png (21.62 KiB) Viewed 5396 times

This will at least make reusing materials easier. But this will obviously not help you a lot if you edited the mesh or created new shape keys etc.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby jujube » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:39 pm

I think I did this by exporting the model again, and then taking the clothes I want to put on the original, and unparenting ("clear parent") them from the reimported mesh, so that I can parent them to the original. Then delete the dupicate/unwanted objects.
Still a bit of a hassle, but it prevents you from having to re-do your shading work.
jujube

Postby TheBragi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:54 am

Thanks guys, all good info. While parenting an extension or article of clothing to the mesh works OK for a still image, it isn't properly parented to all of the necessary bones. So, while it's possible to attach long hair to an existing mesh, it won't follow the contours of the neck and back when the pose changes. Must think on this.
TheBragi

Postby joepal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 am

Or you can wait until I've gotten around to implementing re-equipping clothes and body parts in the integration addon. It's on the todo list.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to General discussions about makehuman