Makeclothes .npz file problem.

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Makeclothes .npz file problem.

Postby Thomasmg81 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:03 am

Hello there, i desperately need advice regarding the blender makeclothes plugin. For some reason the .npz file is very persnickety, half the time it wont transfer, half the time it will whenever i press the makeclothes button. Can anyone provide a suggestion why this might be happening?

* yes, i have attributed vertex groups to the left, mid, and right hand side vertices.

* file attached at bottom

Thanks

Attachments
mens_ninja_bottoms.7z
(3.22 MiB) Downloaded 448 times
Thomasmg81

Re: Makeclothes .npz file problem.

Postby RobBaer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:36 am

You don't claim that MakeClothes OUTRIGHT fails, only that it is missing the .npz.

*.npz files are compiled versions of assets. MH will automatically compile new or changed asset the first time you start MakeHuman or access a changed asset. A warning can accompany this compile. It is harmless unless it recurs. If there are many assets needing compiling , startup can be slow, but after that things should be fine.

Are you just not finding the .npz, or is something actually not working with clothes?
RobBaer

Postby Thomasmg81 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:47 am

EDIT:
Double post, please disregard
Last edited by Thomasmg81 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomasmg81

Postby Thomasmg81 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:01 am

Never claimed that MH is outright failing, I appreciate i'm doing something incorrectly hence my asking for suggestions and advice on what i might be doing incorrectly.

In this case when i'm clicking the makeclothes button, i give it ample time, its not just taking a long time to send the .npz file (the .obj, material file all do fine) but its flat out refusing to send to the destination folder in spite of my attempted attempts at degrouping and regrouping the vertices in vain hope that its just me not getting 'the knack' but i'm forced to admit defeat. I've provided screenshots, explanations and copies of the offending project in question so at this point i'm at a loss how to articulate the problem any better.

I have successfully created and exported clothes to MH in the past. What i did notice, is the common denominator with the clothes ive successfully exported, the .npz file is present in the destination folder. Going from the error message at the footer of the bottom screenshot, i presumed the error is related to missing proxies (ie the .npz file is missing).
Thomasmg81

Postby RobBaer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:05 am

Although I don't remember for sure, I don;t think MakeClothes makes the .npz filre That will be done when you restart MakeHuman. That's what I'm asking is whether the clothes are not working in MakeHuman. The .npz may not show up until you've restarted MH.
RobBaer

Postby Thomasmg81 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:08 am

I have tried restarting MH. That isn't working either, and the .npz is still missing from the destination folder.

For whatever reason, i presume its because the .npz file has the necessary proxies, the clothes i've made that work in MH have the associated .npz file.

If somebody with greater expertise than me with makeclothes can have a look at the .blend file in the attachment i've provided in the OP and figure out what i might be doing wrong i'd be much obliged.
Thomasmg81

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:19 am

the npz and the mhpxy files do not form until you load the clothes successfully in the makehuman program, they are formed at the first click of the asset after transfer. Is the clothing not loading at all when you click to put it on your model?
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby Aranuvir » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:49 am

The npz will never be created, since MH fails to load the asset, as the exception in the status bar indicates.
Please check the log tab (you can set the log level to warning) and provide the full error message.
And also check the error messages in Blender. On Windows open the console window and on Unix-like systems start Blender from a shell.
I didn't check your .blend file you have provided, since I'm not going open .blend files from unknown sources, sorry.
Aranuvir

Postby MargaretToigo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:15 pm

MakeClothes is very picky about what it will and will not process and you'll get error messages if your vertex groups aren't set up correctly, if you have mixed quads with tris (you can have all of one or the other, but not both together), if you have stray verts, or if there are ngons.

So, if MakeClothes made .mhclo and .obj files, that part worked. The .npz and .mhpxy files are made by MakeHuman when the clothing item is chosen to fit on a human.

If MakeHuman is not generating these files, check the log as there is a lot of useful information in there. And if you don't understand it, copy/paste the relevant entries and someone here will probably be able to explain what it means.

Oftentimes, the only thing that needs to be changed is the max_pole setting in the .mhclo file -- it's plain text so all you need is a text editor -- which is almost always set to 4. I have found that setting it to 8 resolves the issue of assets not compiling most of the time.

Looking at the screen grab, it appears that the clothing mesh is all quads, although there could be verts in there with more than four poles.

Once again because it bears repeating: check the logs.
MargaretToigo

Postby Thomasmg81 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Elvaerwyn wrote:the npz and the mhpxy files do not form until you load the clothes successfully in the makehuman program, they are formed at the first click of the asset after transfer. Is the clothing not loading at all when you click to put it on your model?

No, the clothes are not appearing at all on the model. What you see in the screengrab is what i''m getting, you get the clothing item appearing in the menu but its not showing on the MH model and i'm just getting the error message at the bottom. I also tried putting the appropriate texture file in the destination folder, that is also not helping.
Thomasmg81

Next

Return to Newbies