What's the easier way to animate a MH character?

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

What's the easier way to animate a MH character?

Postby KV6129 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Hello everyone,

My try was to import the fbx in blender and load a bvh file through MakeWalk, but it seems it doesn't recognize the rig, I have tried default and game engine one.
Also tried the troubleshooting where you are supposed to manually identify it but doesn't work either blender refuses to even save it.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\KV\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\makewalk\target.py", line 356, in execute
saveTargetFile(self.properties.filepath, context)
File "C:\Users\KV\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\makewalk\target.py", line 321, in saveTargetFile
from .t_pose import saveTPose
ImportError: cannot import name 'saveTPose'

I'm about clueless about 3D modeling, I'm just a programmer trying to get some models for my game.

Thanks in advance for any help
KV6129

Re: What's the easier way to animate a MH character?

Postby wolgade » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 am

KV6129 wrote:My try was to import the fbx in blender

As far as I know FBX is broken in Blender and/or Makehuman. The easiest way to transfer your character from MH to Blender is to use MHX2.

In my opinion, CMU-Rig works best with BVH-files and MakeWalk, but this might depend on the source of your animation.
wolgade

Postby KV6129 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:38 pm

wolgade wrote:
KV6129 wrote:My try was to import the fbx in blender

As far as I know FBX is broken in Blender and/or Makehuman. The easiest way to transfer your character from MH to Blender is to use MHX2.

Thank you, tried that but still the same error
KV6129

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:32 pm

I would suggest posting your .bvh pose file (zip it if the forum won't accept .bvh) then people check whether it works for them. You might also try loading one of the MH-included poses as those should load.
blindsaypatten

Postby KV6129 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:57 am

Thanks guys idk what the problem is but I downloaded a different .bvh and got it working.

Now I have a different issue, when I import the character to the game engine it jumps forward at some point of the animation.
I'm not sure but I think what I need is a walk in place animation, if I play it in blender the model moves forward instead.
Should I find another animation or there is an easy fix for that?
I see the .bvh is plain text, I guess I could grep and replace some values there so the model doesn't translate?
KV6129

Postby MargaretToigo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Here is a tutorial on using MakeWalk in Blender to make .bvh actions into looping actions. Although it is a bit outdated, it still works pretty much the same.

https://thomasmakehuman.wordpress.com/makewalk/the-making-of-running-feet/running-feet-scene-1/
MargaretToigo

Postby KV6129 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:29 pm

MargaretToigo wrote:Here is a tutorial on using MakeWalk in Blender to make .bvh actions into looping actions. Although it is a bit outdated, it still works pretty much the same.

https://thomasmakehuman.wordpress.com/makewalk/the-making-of-running-feet/running-feet-scene-1/

Thank you, I think I can make the animation loop from the game itself, what I would like to know is how to play it without translation (the model moving through the X axis on this case).
Unless I am getting this totally wrong and this is not even an issue?
KV6129

Postby MargaretToigo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 pm

KV6129 wrote:Thank you, I think I can make the animation loop from the game itself, what I would like to know is how to play it without translation (the model moving through the X axis on this case).
Unless I am getting this totally wrong and this is not even an issue?

I'm sorry, I should have written loop in place, as in a walk cycle that repeats over and over without the character actually going anywhere -- like they're on a treadmill. The tutorial shows how to find a good walk/run cycle in a bvh and repeat it in place. Then you can use those keyframes to make Actions, which can then be stored and used to control your characters.
MargaretToigo

Postby KV6129 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks!
I finally found what I needed was to "remove root motion", I did it in blender following some tutorial and now the animation runs in place.
Ironically something broke the AI and now the character doesn't move anymore withing the game, but well that's out of topic.
Thanks for the help everyone.
KV6129

Return to Newbies