Missing textures

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Missing textures

Postby agedperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:21 am

I tried downloading the Dress Bodice with Ruffle Skirt from Community Assets. I saw a faint shape of the skirt but no texture. I tried adding the -shaders parameter to the desktop icon but that simply changed the faint shape to black. I then removed the -shaders parameter and that has caused the textures of ALL my models to show up as black. It seems that Windows 7 (in all it's infinite wisdom) has decided that it is never going to forget that I once wanted -shaders and is not going back to the old ways. I even tried running the actual .exe file (thus bypassing the desktop icon) and still got black textures. I would really appreciate some help in correcting my problem.
agedperson

Re: Missing textures

Postby loki1950 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:23 am

Could you post the log file it will be in the makehuman folder of My Documents in a sub-folder called v1 it is called makehuman.log it's just a text file but it should tell us exactly what is happening.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby agedperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply Loki. I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to post the log. I'm thinking copy-and-paste but I'd better read the FAQs to see if that is correct. Bear with me.
agedperson

Postby agedperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:22 pm

I think I've figured it out. Posted Attachments is showing makehuman.log. Is that the correct way to do what you requested, Loki? I'm not sure what "Place inline" means so I didn't click on it.

Now I see that the log has not been downloaded. What does that mean?
Attachments
makehuman.log
(80.57 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
agedperson

Postby RobBaer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:40 pm

I could be jumping in late and misreading it, but I think you have misremembered the start-up flag you want. Try:
makehuman.exe --noshaders

rather than -shaders
RobBaer

Postby agedperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:11 pm

RobBaer wrote:I could be jumping in late and misreading it, but I think you have misremembered the start-up flag you want. Try:
makehuman.exe --noshaders

rather than -shaders

Hi Rob,
You are quite right. I did originally use -noshaders but the result was that the DressBodice asset didn't show a texture. I then tried to restore the desktop icon by using -shaders (which didn't work) so I then removed the parameter completely. It was then that ALL my textures turned black. Windows 7 figured I didn't have a clue!
I tried using --noshaders as you kindly suggested and am now back to normal. Profound thanks. (I didn't know about -- rather than -)
I still have the problem of the missing texture for DressBodice but I now suspect that the absence of a graphics card on my laptop accounts for the lack. I shall have to accept the fact that some assets are not going to work for me.
agedperson

Postby RobBaer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:58 pm

agedperson wrote:I still have the problem of the missing texture for DressBodice but I now suspect that the absence of a graphics card on my laptop accounts for the lack. I shall have to accept the fact that some assets are not going to work for me.

If it is one texture on one asset, it is probably not a graphics card issue. It is probably a missing texture or a malformed path to the location of the texture. I'm not sure just what asset you are talking about but I tried BoiledLeatherBodice1 and 'BoiledLeatherBodice1.png' is missing for me as well.

If you check in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\makehuman\v1\data\clothes\Boiled_Leather_Bodice you will find where the files related to this asset should be. There is a file named "boiledleatherbodicetexture.png". This SHOULD be what we need but it seems to be wrongly named . Rename it to "boiledleatherbodice1.png", and I think it will work. Hopefully this is what is happening to you.

As an aside if you have your file extensions hidden, you are well advised to make them visible again. It aids greatly as you troubleshoot.

The author needs to fix the name in the repository. The missing texture is not your fault.
RobBaer

Postby agedperson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:56 pm

RobBaer wrote:
agedperson wrote:I still have the problem of the missing texture for DressBodice but I now suspect that the absence of a graphics card on my laptop accounts for the lack. I shall have to accept the fact that some assets are not going to work for me.

If it is one texture on one asset, it is probably not a graphics card issue. It is probably a missing texture or a malformed path to the location of the texture. I'm not sure just what asset you are talking about but I tried BoiledLeatherBodice1 and 'BoiledLeatherBodice1.png' is missing for me as well.

As an aside if you have your file extensions hidden, you are well advised to make them visible again. It aids greatly as you troubleshoot.

Rob, the asset in question is Margaret Toigo's "Dress Bodice with Lace Ruffle Skirt" and she has correctly named the texture .png. I checked that it agrees with the MHmat file. In the details shown in the Community menu, Margaret indicates that she has included a diffuse texture. Is that what is causing my problem? What irks me is that I see a faint shape of the dress but no color.

In Windows 7 I have "Hide extensions for known file types" turned off. Or do you mean something to do with the MakeHuman log?
agedperson

Postby MargaretToigo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:40 pm

agedperson wrote:Rob, the asset in question is Margaret Toigo's "Dress Bodice with Lace Ruffle Skirt" and she has correctly named the texture .png. I checked that it agrees with the MHmat file. In the details shown in the Community menu, Margaret indicates that she has included a diffuse texture. Is that what is causing my problem? What irks me is that I see a faint shape of the dress but no color.

In Windows 7 I have "Hide extensions for known file types" turned off. Or do you mean something to do with the MakeHuman log?

I am sorry you're having a problem, but I cannot see why, other than something to do with which shader is set in MakeHuman.

All of the stuff I made with MakeClothes puts the following line into every .mhmat file:

Code: Select all
// Shader programme
shader data/shaders/glsl/phong

Now, I'm not sure of exactly what that means, but I leave it in there because it's probably important. It could have something to do with how the material in the .mhmat file is supposed to be shaded in MakeHuman, and phong seems to be the default.

I do some rudimentary testing before uploading a new asset. At the very least, I try to make sure that the textures and thumbnails are seen in MakeHuman and that the .mhmat files will find all the textures. I usually notice problems when I import an MHX2 into Blender to make an illustration pic to post with the asset listing, but I've had only a few problems with the most recent assets I've uploaded, and none of them had to do with textures.

In the case of the Dress Bodice with Lace Ruffle Skirt, there is only a diffuse texture, which is just the color.

Just to be sure, I loaded the dress into MakeHuman again and all I changed was the gender (neutral to 100% female).

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.03.58 AM.png
MargaretToigo

Postby joepal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:40 pm

If you see a faint outline of the asset, that'd make me lean towards a problem with how the graphics card is rendering. However, it would be very strange if this only happens with a single asset and everything else works as expected.

Do all the core assets that came with MH work as expected?

From the log:

Code: Select all
GL.VENDOR: Intel
GL.RENDERER: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

From what I can see, this is an integrated intel chip in what is probably a laptop. Intel integrated graphics chips tend to behave funny with MH occasionally. It should work with --noshaders if that is the problem, but there's no guarrantee.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Next

Return to Newbies