High resolution version of MakeHuman

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

High resolution version of MakeHuman

Postby blindsaypatten » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:21 pm

I have a conceptual question.

Can anyone see any reason why one couldn't apply subsurf to the default mesh to produce a higher resolution mesh, make the current default a proxy topology of that, and regenerate the targets just by taking the difference between the subsurfed default and the subsurfed morphed mesh?

It seem to me that Blender can deal with meshes of that size without any problem on my machine which is not high-powered by any stretch.

For those of us who are doing still renders it would be nice to be able to work with higher resolution meshes when producing new targets. When I was working on jawlines it was quite frustrating that the mesh topology didn't align with the jawline and I therefore got nasty artifacts. I've got the same issue with sculpting defined pectoral muscles or abdominal muscles using the default mesh. Working with a subdivided mesh those issues would likely largely go away. Just generally one could have more body and target detail.

I haven't tried it yet myself but it seems that a lot of people are sculpting at a higher resolution and then using that to generate normal maps to "fake" higher resolution. If you are doing static images and don't need high performance, wouldn't it be nice to be able to use the sculpted mesh directly?

Anyway, I'm not asking anyone to do this, I'm just wondering if there are issues that I'm missing that would cause problems.
blindsaypatten

Re: High resolution version of MakeHuman

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:54 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:Can anyone see any reason why one couldn't apply subsurf to the default mesh to produce a higher resolution mesh, make the current default a proxy topology of that, and regenerate the targets just by taking the difference between the subsurfed default and the subsurfed morphed mesh?

It seem to me that Blender can deal with meshes of that size without any problem on my machine which is not high-powered by any stretch.

I think it could be an option to choose the resolution, depending upon what you're trying to accomplish. A higher resolution mesh is good for sculpting and rendering, but slow for posing. Plus there are lots of uses for low-poly humans, like when you need lots of them to do crowds.

In Blender, I use the "Simplify" thingie on he Scene properties panel -- with view set to zero and render set to six -- to switch between resolutions for all the different parts of a human with one click.
MargaretToigo

Postby blindsaypatten » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Yes, an option or setting would be nice. And yes we still want to produce lower resolution characters, all the existing low-polygon proxies plus the current resolution mesh would still be available.

I'll have to check out Simplify, I've never used it.
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:15 am

blindsaypatten wrote:I haven't tried it yet myself but it seems that a lot of people are sculpting at a higher resolution and then using that to generate normal maps to "fake" higher resolution. If you are doing static images and don't need high performance, wouldn't it be nice to be able to use the sculpted mesh directly?

Anyway, I'm not asking anyone to do this, I'm just wondering if there are issues that I'm missing that would cause problems.

I think the common approach to sculpting in blender is using the multiresolution modifier, rather than increasing the density of the underlying mesh. https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/ ... ution.html

This said, the current base mesh was made around 2010 (I think), and was then considered pretty heavy. With more computing power, it might make sense to have a higher resolution base mesh and delegate lower resolution to proxies. This would, for example, cater for real geometry detailed muscles that can deform, as well as facial wrinkles caused by expressions etc.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby jcpalmer » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Actually, I have been going the other way for an ultimate destination of WebGL. I have been using limited dissolve on the meshes until just before it shows badly. Actually, I think I am getting much better results than that low res "thing" you can pick from MH, with only a slight increase.

Another thing with the low res target from MH is that it is just the body. Clothes, hair, etc only come in one res.

While I am grateful for all the clothes, hair, & stuff. Usually it is generated at a wildly high res. No problem though. Better to be high than low. Limited dissolve works on that too. Things like teeth are made like they are for a dentist's app. Who is ever going to see those back teeth, or the back side? I use a 13 degree threshold for teeth, always delimited using UV. Actually have a page in a notebook of settings for everything I've shrunk.

That multi-resolution is a nice solution. Have seen a youtube on it. Results are very nice, but do not forget meshes other than the body.
jcpalmer

Postby Mindfront » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:00 am

My experience after many different aproaches would be export the default mesh or another character, in Blender add multiresolution modifier, subdivide two or three times, sculpt, bake a displacement map, that way you can decide wich resolution fits the purpose. and easy to be reused on other character. The hard part is that it's always need to manually adjust the displacement map along the UV-seams. A good thing is the mesh will keep its original form at level 0 or if remove the multiresolution modifier.
If I also had baked an displacement when I was making my body normal maps I havent need to do over half on the targets.
Mindfront

Return to General discussions about makehuman