Shoes are Hard to Fit

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Shoes are Hard to Fit

Postby blindsaypatten » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Straying away from shoes but staying with the universal fit theme...

As an exercise I used the shrinkwrap modifier to produce a version of the Average Male that has a more regular mesh structure around the waist, but has nearly identical shape as the existing Average Male.
BackCompare.png

FrontCompare.png

If I were to do the same for the Average Female then one could automatically refit clothes that have been fitted for females to fit males. Just take the clothes fit to the Average Female, substitute the normalized version, which has the identical shape, rerun the fitting algorithm, apply the regularized female to regularized male target, and the clothing will fit the regularized male. You can then sub in the existing male, which has the identical shape, and rerun the fitting algorithm. A bit tedious but it could be automated. Ideally of course the default meshes would be regularized and then you wouldn't have to do anything, the fit would automatically tranfer between genders. But to do that you would need to go through a similar procedure for each of the existing targets to produce targets that have the same affect on the regularized mesh as the current targets do on the current mesh.

And of course I have only addressed the lower half of the body, dealing with chest features is a whole other story.

The same could be done for feet, if you look at the feet as you slide the gender slider back and forth you will see that there are a lot of gratuitous changes to the mesh between male and female. Those should really be eliminated. Except that would break backward compatibility.

Ah, such are the complications of life.
blindsaypatten

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:13 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:As an exercise I used the shrinkwrap modifier to produce a version of the Average Male that has a more regular mesh structure around the waist, but has nearly identical shape as the existing Average Male.

Those are nice straight lines around the waist. How did you do that with shrinkwrap? Which target/settings did you use?

blindsaypatten wrote:The same could be done for feet, if you look at the feet as you slide the gender slider back and forth you will see that there are a lot of gratuitous changes to the mesh between male and female. Those should really be eliminated. Except that would break backward compatibility.

I have noticed that, along with how much the mesh changes when you slide the Age thingie back and fourth. I have noticed that a universal fit is quite possible for most ages and body types of a gender, but the extremes (baby, senior) almost always break clothing meshes around the neck and waist.

Now, I know you probably know this already, but others who might be tuning in here should know that a good way to see how much the human mesh changes is to switch the MakeHuman viewer to wireframe and play with the Main sliders, which lets you see all the edges and faces and how they deform/distort.
MargaretToigo

Postby blindsaypatten » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:50 pm

MargaretToigo wrote:Those are nice straight lines around the waist. How did you do that with shrinkwrap? Which target/settings did you use?

I loaded two copies of Average Male and then shrinkwrapped one to the other, then I just put the 3D cursor where I wanted the line to be, selected the edge loop, and did a scale-z to move them to that z coordinate, with the shrinkwrap keeping them on the surface of the original mesh. I'm sure there are less crude ways, but the breadth of my knowledge of Blender is limited.
blindsaypatten

Previous

Return to User contributions